Which Language is Best For me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sota

sota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello. I am generally new to the Programming community. I'm sure as you all know, BO3 is coming out soon. I personally own a RGH and would like to start making Tools/Menus for other RGH users. Not sure which languages I should start looking into, or where to start? If could help me that would be great! :smile:

KiK - Sota_Mods
Skype - Sota_Mods

Chris7S

Chris7S

Nerd by definition, programmer by trade
Grammar Nazi Chatty Kathy Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello. I am generally new to the Programming community. I'm sure as you all know, BO3 is coming out soon. I personally own a RGH and would like to start making Tools/Menus for other RGH users. Not sure which languages I should start looking into, or where to start? If could help me that would be great! :smile:

KiK - Sota_Mods
Skype - Sota_Mods
Well I noticed that no one has yet to reply to you so I guess I will start. I would recommend looking into C# because it is a very simple yet powerful language to use. In terms of what language is best for you, it's not possible to answer because that is based on personal aspects that none of us can answer.

sota

sota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I noticed that no one has yet to reply to you so I guess I will start. I would recommend looking into C# because it is a very simple yet powerful language to use. In terms of what language is best for you, it's not possible to answer because that is based on personal aspects that none of us can answer.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

What do you want to do with it? Many experienced programmers know multiple languages. Its quite common when finding a job. Do you want to write code for games? Windows applications/.NET? Or mobile? What about web?

Which one?

sota

sota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
What do you want to do with it? Many experienced programmers know multiple languages. Its quite common when finding a job. Do you want to write code for games? Windows applications/.NET? Or mobile? What about web?

Which one?
I just want to make programs on the computer (mostly tools ATM). 
C# and then C/C++.
Ok, thanks for the input.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I just want to make programs on the computer (mostly tools ATM). 

Ok, thanks for the input.

Revised:

If your purpose is to make Windows Applications, and nothing more, C-Sharp is without a doubt the best option for what your looking to do.

If you want a future in software that is outside the Windows Platform and requires a knowledge in C/C++. But still want to start with C-Sharp. Then try C++.NET. Or even just start with C# and move on to C++.NET. The benefits of doing so will be to prepare you for the basic text formatting differences between C# and C++. The benefits are small, but every ounce counts. Either way is good in my opinion.

Last edited:
WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That is terrible advise from the other guy. If all you want to do is make windows programs for the PC, then C# is your best bet by far. If you may want to make games or cross platform apps/tools. Try C++.Net. It works well with the .net framework and is managed like c#. That way if you decide to go full C language, you have very close experience.

If your ultimate goal is C/C++. Then start with C/C++. Never start with c# or any other language for that matter.

It's good to get OOP and SOLID principles covered before endeavouring into C/C++ (well, actually, that depends.. do you want to write **** C++ code?). I see the learning curve for C/C++ to be a tiny bit larger than that of C# - just a tiny bit.
My advice is fine advice and it's probably gonna be the most popular advice you'd get on this forum. Your advice for cross platform apps by using managed C++ is absolutely ridiculous and shows you have no experience in doing stuff like that at all. If you wanted to make cross platform tools (assuming GUI tools) embrace the languages commonly used for them: C++ (Qt, GTKmm etc.), Java (Swing, JavaFX etc.), Python (pyGTK) and more recently JavaScript (node w/ things like electron).

I'd stick to Windows, GoldBl4d3, since it's clear from your ludicrous reply that that's all you know about.
My advice is pretty spot on considering tools for JTAG/RGH consoles use .NET libraries so C# is an ideal language for RPC tools and C/C++ will be used on the actual console side of things.
Finally, OP never mentioned anything about making games - he specifically was talking about making desktop modding tools and console-sided 'exploits'.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
It's good to get OOP and SOLID principles covered before endeavouring into C/C++ (well, actually, that depends.. do you want to write **** C++ code?). I see the learning curve for C/C++ to be a tiny bit larger than that of C# - just a tiny bit.
My advice is fine advice and it's probably gonna be the most popular advice you'd get on this forum. Your advice for cross platform apps by using managed C++ is absolutely ridiculous and shows you have no experience in doing stuff like that at all. If you wanted to make cross platform tools (assuming GUI tools) embrace the languages commonly used for them: C++ (Qt, GTKmm etc.), Java (Swing, JavaFX etc.), Python (pyGTK) and more recently JavaScript (node w/ things like electron).

I'd stick to Windows, GoldBl4d3, since it's clear from your ludicrous reply that that's all you know about.
My advice is pretty spot on considering tools for JTAG/RGH consoles use .NET libraries so C# is an ideal language for RPC tools and C/C++ will be used on the actual console side of things.
Finally, OP never mentioned anything about making games - he specifically was talking about making desktop modding tools and console-sided 'exploits'.

I think my problem is I tacked together my reply which made it misleading. My advice for managed C++ with games and apps is not my advice at all. What my reply stated was to start with C++.NET, that way you get the benefits of .NETFX and if you need to switch to games and platform apps, you know the structure and format of the C++ language.

Why I thought your reply was terrible is because of the lack of reasoning. You didn't mention any options. A lot of people who start with programming in one language/career, end up advancing in to other areas. Games, Apps and so on. So its important to lay out which direction is good from the beginning to where he expects to end up in his career. People want advice, not the name of a language.

Considering your ludicrous response in both posts, you are generally inexperienced altogether. Although who am I to assume anything about you until I get to know you. Before you recommend and define me about what I know and what I should stick with, you should get to know me and what I do. As a fact to help you out, my primary language is C#. I have been writing code under C# for ten years. I work on software solutions for companies that are much larger and complex then petty modding applications. (With respect to research and community efforts). Included in these solutions are mobile applications written in Java and C for multiple platforms. In terms of web, ASP.NET is my main focus but am well proficient in knowledge throughout the web spectrum. I am not advanced in any way within the web world though.

sota

sota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

Like I said I'm new... And just trying to start. No need to hate :frown:

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Like I said I'm new... And just trying to start. No need to hate :frown:

If you soley want to make Windows applications. C-Sharp is the best option. You can download Visual Studio CE for free here.

If you need any help getting started, please contact me via PM. I'm always here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register