What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Question Where can i find information about how Lite-on Xbox 360 disk drives work?

• Thread starter iWannaFlashOnLinux
  • Start date
  • Views 860
I

iWannaFlashOnLinux

Reaction score
Sin$
I am looking to flash my Xbox 360 Slims disk drive. It's a Lite-on. I know generally what do do, but there is a problem: I use Linux. Every tool for flashing uses Windows.
I would just suck it up and run Windows, but my pride won't allow it. IMO, Windows stinks.
I would also just JTAG or RGH my console, but made a promise to myself that i would flash my 360's disk drive, not JTAG/RGH the motherboard. I am a man of my word, even to myself.
Because of the facts above, i have concluded that i will need to write my own flashing program, specifically for Linux! A radical idea, i know.
I do know quite well how to program, but i am completely clueless when it comes to how the disk drive specifically actually works. I need some sort of information on how the drive works in order to send the correct signals to it, and flash it.
If you have any information at all on Xbox 360 disk drives, please share it!

S7_Kewizzle

S7_Kewizzle

Developer Kitchen Manager
Programmer Seasoned Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I am looking to flash my Xbox 360 Slims disk drive. It's a Lite-on. I know generally what do do, but there is a problem: I use Linux. Every tool for flashing uses Windows.
I would just suck it up and run Windows, but my pride won't allow it. IMO, Windows stinks.
I would also just JTAG or RGH my console, but made a promise to myself that i would flash my 360's disk drive, not JTAG/RGH the motherboard. I am a man of my word, even to myself.
Because of the facts above, i have concluded that i will need to write my own flashing program, specifically for Linux! A radical idea, i know.
I do know quite well how to program, but i am completely clueless when it comes to how the disk drive specifically actually works. I need some sort of information on how the drive works in order to send the correct signals to it, and flash it.
If you have any information at all on Xbox 360 disk drives, please share it!
Does wine not work?

I

iWannaFlashOnLinux

Reaction score
Sin$
Does wine not work?
To my knowledge, wine isn't really designed for such things. Even if the wined program detected the drive at all, there would probably be plenty of bugs. And, this is a scenario where you really don't want any bugs whatsoever. I guess i could use wine as a last resort, but there is a good chance i'd brick my disk drive that way, or that the software just wouldn't work at all.
Post automatically merged:

You use Linux! Do you also wear a cardigan & sandals?
Unfortunately, no. I do not have such a fabulous fashion sense.

S7_Kewizzle

S7_Kewizzle

Developer Kitchen Manager
Programmer Seasoned Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
To my knowledge, wine isn't really designed for such things. Even if the wined program detected the drive at all, there would probably be plenty of bugs. And, this is a scenario where you really don't want any bugs whatsoever. I guess i could use wine as a last resort, but there is a good chance i'd brick my disk drive that way, or that the software just wouldn't work at all.
Post automatically merged:

Unfortunately, no. I do not have such a fabulous fashion sense.
Ahhhh use a portable version of windows if you must

Top Bottom
Login
Register