What's new

What'll happen if I take the disc drive out of my Xbox One S?

holyaberrant

holyaberrant

Reaction score
Sin$
I don't remember the last time I used the disc drive in my Xbox One. Has anyone tried removing it?

I remember seeing the below gorgeous OG Xbox case mod and got to wondering if something like that would be possible with the Xbox One.

If there is a ban / console disable when removing the disc drive is there a means of tricking the console into thinking the drive is there when it isn't?

xbox_mini_3.jpg

Fogel

Fogel

Call Me Mclovin!
Reaction score
Sin$
I don’t think it’s a good idea to remove it. Probably won’t work. You also have no way of getting the keys on the dvd drive to my knowledge

holyaberrant

holyaberrant

Reaction score
Sin$
Is every motherboard linked to the disc drive such that only they can be used together or can you use change the disc drive (to another one from another xbox for example)

Fogel

Fogel

Call Me Mclovin!
Reaction score
Sin$
Is every motherboard linked to the disc drive such that only they can be used together or can you use change the disc drive (to another one from another xbox for example)
The disk drive is most def linked to that specific Xbox

ddxcb

ddxcb

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
you wont get banned for not having the disk drive in the system.

ie lets say the disk drive dies, why would ms ban you for a faulty disk drive?

holyaberrant

holyaberrant

Reaction score
Sin$
you wont get banned for not having the disk drive in the system.

ie lets say the disk drive dies, why would ms ban you for a faulty disk drive?

I imagine if Microsoft perceived a vulnerability where you were able to install a game from a disc to your drive, then tamper with the disc drive to trick your console into playing without the disc, they might issue bans or stop the console from working if the drive is removed.

Have you seen examples of people removing the disc drive (DD) and not being ban / stopping the console from working?

I'm assuming if the DD is linked to a specific xbox it would be some kind of circuit between the DD and the xbox that is linked and not the DD itself. If this is the case could the DD be removed if the (hypothetical) circuit is kept in place?

MikeHawksDragon

MikeHawksDragon

Reaction score
Sin$
My Xbox one has a broken disk drive & I had it unplugged which worked for a while. One day there was an update and it was stuck resetting and updating til I plugged it back in. My system still works though so maybe you could take the PCB and plug out of the drive and mount it somewhere in your smaller box.

Unbound 7s

Unbound 7s

0x50676f573
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Removing the Disc drive wont harm anything. Though as mentioned if removed and try updating it could cause a LBE (Loop Boot Error) or some kind of faulty problem. Just be sure to reinstall it if any updated come across.

Top Bottom
Login
Register