What tools to use for cutting renders.....beginners!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Resources' started by SiK MuShRoOm, Jun 16, 2009 with 6 replies and 256 views.

1. SiK MuShRoOm

SiK MuShRoOm Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Magic Wand tool: This is useful if the Background behind the render is different from most of the colors within the render. Use this to get as close as you can without getting inside the render.

Marquee Tool
    (Selection tool): this is best used to get out those pesky dots of color left over by the Magic wand tool. This saves time on Erasing with a brush.

Eraser
    : You will use this quite abit, but not as much as the next tool. You will want to use this to get as close as you can without getting inside the pixels of your render. you usually want to use the eraser as a smaller brush, nothing over 20 pixels, unless your editing quite a large photo.

Smudge Tool: This is the ultimate tool for render editing. If you have a Background that has colors that blend your Render,or you have some edges that just cant be edited with any other toold, then i recommend this brush highly. teaming this with the eraser will be your best tools. Note: You dont always want to use this at its fullest settings, i recomment around a 45 - 60 setting, and use wit ha circualr brush, that is key because it wont have the harsh edges like a square brush would.

If all else fails in your render editing, then i just suggest getting it as close as you can, then putting it in the graphic that you made, then celecthing it by Clicking the layer while holding Ctrl, and then going to Select>Feather And depending if its a large picture or not with smaller renders go for about a 5-15 pixel radius, for larger pictures go with about a 20-45 pixel radius. What this will do is blend the outsides of your render into the graphic, giving it a clean and finished look..

Im sorry that this was long winded and without pictures.. MAybe if i get some time later i will get some screens and slap em in here.. Well as always, thanks for reading, and keep on PSin.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TehPhelix

TehPhelix VIP VIP Retired

Ratings:
    The Pen Tool is so much more effective. You only need that one tool to render. Much more accurate as you can zoom in, create anchor points and angle the lines between them to get an exact outline. Then just some right click working and its done. No need to smudge, feather, nothing. You select only what you want and nothing else. Another note, it is definitely a bad move to use the magic wand tool unless it is a very simple render. You should not under most circumstances use the magic wand and it is not very effective and can not hit the edges of the render very well.

3. Saiyan

Saiyan Member

Ratings:
    Also if the tolerance for the magic wand tool is set incorrectly you could be accidentally selecting parts of the render itself, which if one was to delete along with the background. Stick with the pen tool, or the polygonal lasso.

4. OP
    SiK MuShRoOm

SiK MuShRoOm Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The pen tool is good but it takes a little time to get good with. It did for me anyways. Thats why i put beginners up top because there is of course gillions of ways to cut renders.

5. SnD Scrub

SnD Scrub The Warez kings humble Protégé

Ratings:
    i just started making GFX'S yesterday and the pen tool is incredibly easy to use for cutting renders

6. Slipkvlt

Slipkvlt Getting There

Ratings:
    This is pretty cool dude, you should put it in the tuts section ;D
    I didn't even know I could use the pen tool to make renders, so thanks:thumbup:

7. aza0123

aza0123 Newbie

Ratings:
    Nice quick and easy guide for beginners :smile: +1