What Ram Would I Upgrade My Laptop with?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by imlose, Dec 22, 2008 with 4 replies and 172 views.

1. imlose

imlose Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Im new to the actual hardware of computers, i just mod halo and stuff, but nothing like this, and i am getting an acer aspire one (the windows xp one with 120gb harddrive, 1 gig ram, and 1.6 ghz) and i wanted some more ram for it, so i went to the walmart website to look, and there is like 5 different kinds of ram, i know for a fact i need a 1 gig ram thing, but there is like ddr, ddr2, ddr3 and sddr or something like that.. so wich one do i need?

2. Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    The acer aspire one is a netbook, not a laptop. If you plan the use this computer for ACTUAL computing(not just surfing the web and typing in notepad) you will be very let down by its performance.

Get a full size 14.1" or 15.4" laptop if you want real power.

3. OP
    imlose

imlose Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Yeah..i know its not an actual laptop.. didnt even answer my question though.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Once you buy the computer, go to this website

Code:
    http://www.crucial.com
    They will have a memory scanner you can run on your computer and it will tell you:

a. How much RAM is installed
    b. How much RAM can be installed
    c. What kind of RAM is installed
    d. What kind of RAM can be installed

Then you pretty much figure out how much you want and what your options are for sticks, and upgrade away

If you need help, post the link of your results here and I'll help you out

5. Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    I didn't post answer your question because adding more ram won't really help anything at all.

But that netbook uses DDR2-533 memory. Heres a page of it for laptops.

[Click here to view the link]