what parts do I need?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Scare Croe, Dec 30, 2008 with 26 replies and 457 views.

1. Scare Croe

Scare Croe Premium Premium

Ratings:
    ok, I plan to build a desktop when taxes come in and I need a list of what all I need to buy. If you could post the essentials that I will need to get I would appreciate it. Also if you want to build a desktop piece by piece and link all the parts here It would save me quite a bit of hassle. My budget is around $600 - $800. Thanks se7en.

2. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    What are you gonna use it for?
    Gaming? Video editing?, etc..

3. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    Prolly Gaming, and General use.

4. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    You're going to need-
    mobo
    processor
    ram
    PSU
    gfx card
    hard drive
    cd/dvd drive
    case

Your not going to get a top of the line gaming setup, but it can be decent for that budget. Also, do you already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse or does that need to fall in with your 600-800 budget?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    i have a keyboard and a mouse, and Im planning on getting a monitor before taxes, the budget is Just for the "Tower" (or whatever the Proper name is).

6. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
  7. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    Thanks Pieceman, will I need to get any fans or anyhting? Or is this it?
    also what bit Vista software would I need for this, 32 or 64?

8. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    It depends on which case you go with for fans. Different cases require different sizes so post a link when u pick one out and I or someone else can steer you in the right direction. As far as Vista, 32 will work fine :wink:

9. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    If you want to recognize all 4GB of RAM, you will need 64 bit. 32 bit only recognizes 3.5GB of RAM typically.

10. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    ok piece,
    its getting to be pretty close to time to order this stuff so I put it all in my shopping cart but the CPU+MoBo combo is no longer availabel. would it be too much to ask you to Post another, Compatible CPU+MoBo Combo?
    Thanks alot man. and the case im getting is
    Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BL Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Computer Cases will that work? I think it comes with the fans and everything too.

*Edit*

Anybody out there wanna help me out with a link to a MoBo+CPU Combo that is Compatible with the rest of the Parts Pieceman has listed?

11. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
  12. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Getting There

Ratings:
  13. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    If he likes the case then its fine, he can just switch out the PSUs

14. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
  15. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    ok, Guys. Frist of all let me say thanks to Everyone that helped me out in my descisions. The Case that was picked out, was picked by my Fiance and so I didnt really have too much I could do about it but I did talk her into a different Color Case (same Model). So this is what I am Settling on as far as the Parts I am Purchasing. If all goes well I will have it all ordered on the 30th and have it put together and Running by the 10th of Febuary.

Case-
    Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Dreamer II ATXB4KLW-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Computer Cases

PSU-
    Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Mobo-
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU-
    Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Ram-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231226

GFX Card-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

HDD-
    Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

CD/DVD Burner-
    Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVDR DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Grand Total Comes to $797.29 Shipped.

Let me know what you guys think of the build and Feel Free to Correct anything that wont work (Compatibility wise) with the rest of the Parts. And Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

16. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    Lulz. My list got teh denied.
    Anywho..

The video card i posted is cheaper and has a higher MIB.
    Newegg.com - MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Not a big deal, just throwing it out there. And i dont like Saphire either.

Also, the ram i posted was cheaper and faster.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

17. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    Ill Prolly change the Ram then, I hadnt noticed it. I decided on the Saphire Video card cause on the Reviews they all had no Cons, and the one you posted seemed like alot of Cons, so that how I decided on the GFX Card. Ill look back into the Video card and see.

18. Chuck Norris

Ratings:
    Lulz. My list got teh denied.
    Anywho..

The video card i posted is cheaper and has a higher MIB.
    Newegg.com - MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
    Not a big deal, just throwing it out there. And i dont like Saphire either.

Also, the ram i posted was cheaper and faster.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

19. TuBbY BuNnY

TuBbY BuNnY Contributor

Ratings:
    Don't get the OCZ PSU- they use the brand "FSP" parts in there and they fail

G-skill - there good but I'd rather get better performing ram with better IC's

Don't get that Seagate HDD, because of recent Firmware failures on the drives causing you too loose all of your data, get a WD AAKS/AALS or Samsung F1 series drive

20. OP
    Scare Croe

Ratings:
    What do you Suggest for Ram and CPU?