What's new

What "language" to learn first?

Yoda

Yoda

From the stars
Reaction score
Sin$
So I want to get into coding and I am wondering what "language" I should learn first? Is there one that would make it easier for me to learn the others. Or one that is better for beginners? If you guys could give me some feedback, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thank you.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
So I want to get into coding and I am wondering what "language" I should learn first? Is there one that would make it easier for me to learn the others. Or one that is better for beginners? If you guys could give me some feedback, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thank you.
C# is pretty easy to learn and can be used to do a lot of things. Why not try that?

WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll look into that. What is C# mostly used for?
C# is THE Windows language. I don't think you can get a better language for pretty much everything on Windows. There's a chance it will become more cross platform in the coming months since Microsoft have open sourced a lot of .NET and things like Mono etc. have already existed for a while. You can do pretty much most things with it although some things like game programming, unless you're using it on an engine, it's not really great for. Other than that, GUI work, networking, etc. are all possible and easy to do with C#.

Yoda

Yoda

From the stars
Reaction score
Sin$
C# is THE Windows language. I don't think you can get a better language for pretty much everything on Windows. There's a chance it will become more cross platform in the coming months since Microsoft have open sourced a lot of .NET and things like Mono etc. have already existed for a while. You can do pretty much most things with it although some things like game programming, unless you're using it on an engine, it's not really great for. Other than that, GUI work, networking, etc. are all possible and easy to do with C#.
Ok, thank you. I'll be looking into C# as a starting language.

Last edited:
Yoda

Yoda

From the stars
Reaction score
Sin$
Would you have any recommendations for starting? Book, website, etc.?

The Jolly Roger

The Jolly Roger

uıןןoɔ
Reaction score
Sin$
First language I learned was English. ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

But with all seriousness first programming language I learned was java. If your'e interested in learning it I can link you a couple e-books I used.

WildeThing

WildeThing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Would you have any recommendations for starting? Book, website, etc.?
Probably best if you start from a few youtube tutorials and then read a book on it. Then, after you've got a fair bit of it down, MSDN is your best friend.

Yoda

Yoda

From the stars
Reaction score
Sin$
Probably best if you start from a few youtube tutorials and then read a book on it. Then, after you've got a fair bit of it down, MSDN is your best friend.
Ok, thank you!
First language I learned was English. ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

But with all seriousness first programming language I learned was java. If your'e interested in learning it I can link you a couple e-books I used.
Yes please!

Pyroman

Pyroman

No
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
In my java class we did Python first, for about 2 months and then switched to java and for me it was really easy to get into java.

Jamdoogen

Jamdoogen

Let's turn forever, you and me
Reaction score
Sin$
Python is by far the easiest programming language to get into. After a month or two i would say switch to Java / C#.

S

Sketch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I think the first thing you want to get down is that programming is not about memorizing anything. It's about learning to think differently. I would suggest Python as your first language. It wasn't my first but I personally found it useful for beginners.

Also, a good thing is to read books. Unless you hate reading, it's good to get into some books related to programming. It helped me a lot.

Start of small and keep practicing. Don't give up when you're stuck. You have to be confident and be persistent with it.

Once you learn Python, you can start to learn other languages. But keep practicing and don't lose your confidence.

S7 Pro

S7 Pro

Seasoned Member
Modder Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd personally suggest Java over Python. Python is an incredibly powerful language, and has a lot of functionality, is easy to mock up things quickly, and many more great things, but falls short in teaching people good programming concepts. First and foremost, it's rather hard to get a good concept of object oriented programming (mainly encapsulation), and a few other important concepts that should be learned first. Also, it's easy to get "lazy" in Python, and not fully understand underlying concepts that are so easily masked by Python's syntax. Java is a great language for beginners and can be learned on almost any platform. C# is a great alternative, and is very similar to Java, but being limited to Windows might lose some people's interest or ability to use.

Yoda

Yoda

From the stars
Reaction score
Sin$
Any recommendations as to where I should learn Python, and what IDE I should use. Was looking at PyCharm from jetbrains and was wondering what you guys think? And, I also saw they had PyCharm Edu so I was wondering what you guys thought.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Any recommendations as to where I should learn Python, and what IDE I should use. Was looking at PyCharm from jetbrains and was wondering what you guys think? And, I also saw they had PyCharm Edu so I was wondering what you guys thought.
PyCharm seems pretty good, but I don't use Python often enough to judge properly.

NO GOD

NO GOD

Only Me
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

Jetbrains makes IntelliJ and it's awesome so I'm just gonna assume that pycharm is good as well.

DubStepMad

DubStepMad

Reaction score
Sin$
If it's any programming language I'd suggest python or LUA to start off with, they are simple, easy and will help to understand future programming languages.

Liquid44

Liquid44

Banned
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
There is no beginner language. Programming languages are tools for solving problems. Before you choose the tool, you have to know what the task is... ie what do you want to make/create and then you can narrow it down to which language would be best for the task.

Top Bottom
Login
Register