What's new

Solved What Graphics card should I get?

__Dax

__Dax

Giraffes
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I have $200 and I'm looking to buy a new graphics card. My options are the nVidia GTX 750 Ti and the PNY GTX 750 Performance edition. I'd normally just play games like CoD and maybe a tiny bit of battlefield or some F2P games. Which one should I get? And I've heard you need a source of power for the cards (some dude at Best Buy told me) and I was wondering if you could link them to me.

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
the maximum amount of money I'd be willing to pay altogether is $250
Honestly, I'm not really sure what to recommend at that price point. Something like this would probably do the job well enough, but I'm sure you can find something with a higher rating for around the same price.

__Dax

__Dax

Giraffes
Reaction score
Sin$
Honestly, I'm not really sure what to recommend at that price point. I wouldn't ever recommend a 50$ PSU to someone, which is pretty much what you'd need to go with if you're spending $200 on a GPU. Something like this would probably do the job well enough, but I'm sure you can find something with a higher rating for around the same price.
Well, I might go for the R9 280x and get this in a 750w power supply, would that be good?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I might go for the R9 280x and get this in a 750w power supply, would that be good?
That should be fine. the 750 watt will give you room for expansion later, if you need it, and that's always nice. You would also be perfectly fine with a lower capacity unit, if you wanted to save some money, but that's your call, honestly.

__Dax

__Dax

Giraffes
Reaction score
Sin$
That should be fine. the 750 watt will give you room for expansion later, if you need it, and that's always nice. You would also be perfectly fine with a lower capacity unit, if you wanted to save some money, but that's your call, honestly.
So for the time being, would a 500w work with the 280x?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
So for the time being, would a 500w work with the 280x?
I nearly made a mistake, but I caught myself in time. I believe that the 280x will require a 750 watt PSU, or at least, that's what seems to be recommended. It may actually require less, I'm not sure (if someone wants to comment on this, please do). The 750 ti, only requires a 300 watt PSU. So, you'll need the 750 watt if you're buying the 280X.

EDIT: I got bored and looked around a bit myself. Apparently, a 600 watt PSU would do the job, but I'd just go ahead with the 750.

Last edited:
__Dax

__Dax

Giraffes
Reaction score
Sin$
I nearly made a mistake, but I caught myself in time. I believe that the 280x will require a 750 watt PSU, or at least, that's what seems to be recommended. It may actually require less, I'm not sure (if someone wants to comment on this, please do). The 750 ti, only requires a 300 watt PSU. So, you'll need the 750 watt if you're buying the 280X.

I could be wrong, though. I'm not really an expert on AMD cards. :/
What about:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JGUR84Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20O7ZIM03RW46

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0ISHMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
All I really need is a GPU and PSU that will be able to play games like DayZ and CoD.
You'll be able to play GTA V on Ultra with this GPU. I assume your CPU is the average 100-200W so purchase the one I suggested.

Top Bottom
Login
Register