What's new

Question What GPU and CPU is compatible with this build and is also an upgrade?

• Thread starter itslenovo
  • Start date
  • Views 591
I

itslenovo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Title - Looking to upgrade the CPU and GPU without having to upgrade psu. PSU is a bronze 500 watt

theroach

theroach

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
The processor is fine. Grab another 8GB of ram and take a choice of any GPU you want. 500 Watt is plenty as long as you do not plan to overclock it.

Well..... Unless you are thinking about grabbing a flagship GPU.....

I

itslenovo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The processor is fine. Grab another 8GB of ram and take a choice of any GPU you want. 500 Watt is plenty as long as you do not plan to overclock it.
have no plans to overclock. will definitely get more ram. would a 1070 be compatible with the motherboard? or is that too high?

also what’s a flagship gpu?

I

itslenovo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
and would you recommend upgrade the gpu soon or should i overclock my current one and use that for a while?

theroach

theroach

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
Generally, AMD/Intel motherboards will both run all mainstream graphic cards. I would tilt towards an AMD in your build to keep it in the family though. Do not worry about a card being to powerful, you are fine with a 6-core, and honestly the only downfall is ddr3. Upgrading your cpu would be pointless unless you plan to grab new ram and motherboard to go with it making the jump to ddr4. Simply find a good graphics card you like, another 8gb of ram and run with it until you plan to do a full upgrade.

I you have no experience with overclocking, which is how it sounds, upgrading is the better option. That GPU is rather out-dated, and much better options are out for a couple hundred bucks.

I

itslenovo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Generally, AMD/Intel motherboards will both run all mainstream graphic cards. I would tilt towards an AMD in your build to keep it in the family though. Do not worry about a card being to powerful, you are fine with a 6-core, and honestly the only downfall is ddr3. Upgrading your cpu would be pointless unless you plan to grab new ram and motherboard to go with it making the jump to ddr4. Simply find a good graphics card you like, another 8gb of ram and run with it until you plan to do a full upgrade.

I you have no experience with overclocking, which is how it sounds, upgrading is the better option. That GPU is rather out-dated, and much better options are out for a couple hundred bucks.
ok just 1 more question. would a 1070 equivalent be too much for the psu? say rx vega 56

and since ill upgrade soon i’ll just overclock for the time being

could i even get a 1070 (even though it’s not amd) and run that? just read something that said 1070 base performance is much faster than a rx 580 even when overclocked

theroach

theroach

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
You can run an Nvidia card, or an AMD card. You can run the 1070 on your platform just fine. I would steer clear of any type of overclocking with only 500W on tap. You are dancing with trouble, and should be on the list of things to upgrade.

I

itslenovo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can run an Nvidia card, or an AMD card. You can run the 1070 on your platform just fine. I would steer clear of any type of overclocking with only 500W on tap. You are dancing with trouble, and should be on the list of things to upgrade.
ok thank you.

probably going to get another single stick of 8gb ddr3 and then either a rx 580, 1060 or maybe go up to a 1070. just gotta look into the power usage.

rx 580 with 8gb sounds pretty good though

Top Bottom
Login
Register