Question What cpu do I need?

• Thread starter IAmTheOneWhoKnocks
  • Start date
  • Views 379
I

IAmTheOneWhoKnocks

Reaction score
Sin$
I've been busy with building a new pc, with a gtx 1080. I already had a cpu in mind, the intel core i-7 6700K skylake.

This one will do fine in my opinion for what I am going to use it for. Gaming and video editing.

But I was wondering, since this cpu is overkill for gaming anyway if I shouldn't buy a 6-core with lower clock speed. Because I will be editing and recording gameplay too.

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been busy with building a new pc, with a gtx 1080. I already had a cpu in mind, the intel core i-7 6700K skylake.

This one will do fine in my opinion for what I am going to use it for. Gaming and video editing.

But I was wondering, since this cpu is overkill for gaming anyway if I shouldn't buy a 6-core with lower clock speed. Because I will be editing and recording gameplay too.
If you're going to edit and record footage, the 6700k should be great for you! I'd recommend overclocking it a bit too or else getting the unlocked "k" edition is kind of pointless.

S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
The i7-6700k is perfect for video editing and gaming. It's 6 cores will render videos very quickly, if you overclock it and use a good cooler then you'll get even better performance.

I

IAmTheOneWhoKnocks

Reaction score
Sin$
Is this also the case if I want to record gameplay and render at the same time? 
The i7-6700k is perfect for video editing and gaming. It's 6 cores will render videos very quickly, if you overclock it and use a good cooler then you'll get even better performance.
It's a quad core tho :tongue:

S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
Is this also the case if I want to record gameplay and render at the same time? 

It's a quad core tho :tongue:
You said 6 cores in your thread. I don't know why I wrote 6, but yeah even 4 cores are good enough as its got 8 threads. Wrote this early in the morning when I was half asleep so that was a mistake lol.

Last edited:
Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

Its not overkill for gaming. Many ****** optimized titles will still be getting some CPU bottlenecks. Buy a skylake i7 over a 6 core Haswell/Broadwell its almost as good in rendering, you get better chipsets, better gaming performance & just all around better features.

If you are doing minimal editing an i5 is fine. If you plan on doing lots the 6700k is your best bet.

Also you don't need more than 8 threads for editing really unless your rendering 4k video 24/7.

If your streaming in intensive games I would actually use Intel Quicksync which uses your igpu to stream meaning it won't really affect your performance. However it won't be able to do like 4k 120fps super extreme quality ****.

For recording games same thing with quicksync.

I

IAmTheOneWhoKnocks

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for replying. Only thing I'm wondering is what happens when 6 cores will be the new standard for gaming?
I mean quad core been the standard for a very long time, don't think it will take too long before 6 cores will be used fully for games, and then the 6 core lets say i7 5820k would beat the 6700k quad core.

I want to build a future proof system as possible.

S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for replying. Only thing I'm wondering is what happens when 6 cores will be the new standard for gaming?
I mean quad core been the standard for a very long time, don't think it will take too long before 6 cores will be used fully for games, and then the 6 core lets say i7 5820k would beat the 6700k quad core.

I want to build a future proof system as possible.
6 cores won't be the standard for a very long time. Gaming doesn't require more than 4 cores. The GPU is the more important component in gaming PCs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register