What can i use to find out what is currently accessing my registry and where?

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by RvB rox, Jan 26, 2009 with 10 replies and 129 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    What can i use to find out what is currently accessing my registry and where? and i mean like exactly where it is writing to like where in maby hkey classes root

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    A good firewall would probably be able to tell you, but the thing is you'd probably need to keep it on high, because a lot of programs utilize the registry very frequently, and most don't acknowledge it unless a program tries to make itself run on startup.

3. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    i need to find out like when you uninstall a program it takes some things but not everything out of it. i need to find out what is not taken out. i think they where called the footprints?

4. Zarcu

Zarcu Contributor

Ratings:
  5. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    link?

6. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    It comes with [Click here to view the link] (you're given the option of whether to use teatimer or not when you're installing it, and since it's real time, it's gonna bog you down if you're on a somewhat older PC)

7. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    so i would be able to find out where avg's footprints are in my registry? or anything else

8. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Well if you want to find something specific in the registry, you do realize you can just hit ctrl+f and search for it right? Also, I don't use TeaTimer, I'm just taking Zarcu's word for it that it does what you're looking for.

9. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    not what i am talking about. when you install a program that you had to buy or tht has a free trial, it leaves something called a footprint(i think thts what its called still cant remember) in the registry. that footprint helps the program see if it was there or not. when you uninstall that program or software, it takes a everything EXCEPT that out. for example. i had AVG on my computer. i just uninstalled it off my comp. i got through the registry search through it to find as much as i can that has to do with AVG. there is nothing there. so i look thru my windows folder EVERYWHERE, and then i also delete my temp. i also delete what is left of it that i did not take out of my program files. so at this point EVERYTHING from AVG is gone off my computer(as far as i know of). so i go to install AVG again, and it says tht my licence has expired. that is the footprint. so if i could find that footprint and delete it, i could just get avg free again. idc about tht anymore i just got kaspersky and it found a bunch of backdoor trojans and viruses

10. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link]

Keep in mind I haven't tested it myself, just from the description it says it tracks system changes when software is installed, which sounds like it's what you're looking for. The problem is that you might not be able to find out where AVG is keeping it's footprints either way because if they already exist, all it has to do is read from them, and if they exist, no modification is made there, so the program might not pick up on it.

11. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:

thts like 10 years old and dont work for xp.lol thx tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.