• Thread starter GypsyCrazyBoy
  • Start date
  • Views 535
GypsyCrazyBoy

GypsyCrazyBoy

Capitalism is a dirty business
Reaction score
Sin$
So I was wondering how I can improve on my PC. I really don't know where to start when it comes to upgrading. I use it for rendering and gaming. (Trying to get it ready for GTA 5)

CPU: AMD FX8320
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 280 Twin Frozr Edition
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb Sticks
Powersupply: Corsair cx600w

Eycd

Eycd

qq
Reaction score
Sin$
For games get a new graphics card like a 970 or 980. A 280 is enough for GTA V though.

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
AzzidReign Jr Fabled Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
So I was wondering how I can improve on my PC. I really don't know where to start when it comes to upgrading. I use it for rendering and gaming. (Trying to get it ready for GTA 5)

CPU: AMD FX8320
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 280 Twin Frozr Edition
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb Sticks
Powersupply: Corsair cx600w
Since you're going to be rendering video and using your PC for more than gaming I would go ahead and upgrade to 16GB of RAM.

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$
Since you're going to be rendering video and using your PC for more than gaming I would go ahead and upgrade to 16GB of RAM.
Aye.

Chazay Chazay wouldn't the CPU bottleneck? The GPU is quite high-end.

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
Sin$
Aha, wasn't being biased towards a company. :smile:
I didn't think so, just saying. :tongue: It could be upgraded, like you said the GPU is much newer. If he really wants to spend the $500 he could go ahead and upgrade the CPU, if not, it would be fine IMO.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
I didn't think so, just saying. :tongue: It could be upgraded, like you said the GPU is much newer. If he really wants to spend the $500 he could go ahead and upgrade the CPU, if not, it would be fine IMO.
EDIT: What am I talking about? Forgot OP has a 280.

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
Sin$
A 960 + i5 or something? Think he'd need a new mobo though.
Yeah, if he went to Intel, he would need a new mobo as well.

I don't think it would be worth it to "upgrade" from a 280 to the 960. They really aren't that much different. The major difference is the 280 has 3GB of VRAM while the 960 only has 2GB. For future games, this would be a key factor. Sure the clock speed is higher on the 960 but IMO the 280 is the better card overall.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, if he went to Intel, he would need a new mobo as well.

I don't think it would be worth it to "upgrade" from a 280 to the 960. They really aren't that much different. The major difference is the 280 has 3GB of VRAM while the 960 only has 2GB. Sure the clock speed is higher on the 960 but IMO the 280 is the better card overall.
I edited my post, forgot what OP has.

I don't think it's worth the hassle but he could sell his 280 and get a 290x? Not sure.

ZMOT

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
Sin$
I edited my post, forgot what OP has.

I don't think it's worth the hassle but he could sell his 280 and get a 290x? Not sure.
Yeah, he could that. I still think the most major upgrade would be more RAM though. Everything else would be a wanted upgrade, not needed. Especially if he plans on doing director mode a lot in GTA V.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, he could that. I still think the most major upgrade would be more RAM though. Everything else would be a wanted upgrade, not needed. Especially if he plans on doing director mode a lot in GTA V.
True true. But he could still afford RAM and the 290x I think.

Eycd

Eycd

qq
Reaction score
Sin$
Aye.

Chazay Chazay wouldn't the CPU bottleneck? The GPU is quite high-end.
A 8320 is basically an underclocked 8350 afaik, so it wouldn't bottleneck any GPU today, except maybe something insane like Titans. Also a 8320 with 8 cores is probably better for rendering then an i5.

L

Legless

Reaction score
Sin$
A 8320 is basically an underclocked 8350 afaik, so it wouldn't bottleneck any GPU today, except maybe something insane like Titans.
I know, just didn't know its limitations tbh. Thanks for clearing that up.

Top Bottom
Login
Register