What's new

.NET What C#/XNA Tutorials do you want ?

Whatchu want ?

• Simultaneous Touch + Mouse Support

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
12ice

12ice

Windows Phone App Developer
Reaction score
Sin$
So lately the Programming section has been a little dead so I thought I would make some tutorials from what I've done in my projects. I don't know how much you guys here use .NET and XNA, I know most of you prefer C++ because of its performance advantages. However if there is enough interest I would be more than happy to create some content for you guys.

Interesting things I can think of off the top of my head:

All game related topics will be 2D and utilising XNA for the most part, The XML topic will probably only utilise the System.Xml.Linq, System.Xml and System.Linq frameworks. I may throw it together with something in XNA
  • Simultaneous Touch + Mouse Support
  • Implementing Modularity in Games
  • The awesomeness of XML
  • Simple game mechanics
    • Timers + Multipliers
    • Implementing Game Objects
    • Collision Detection
    • Making Game Boundaries
    • Saving game data
  • Spawning/Allocation algorithms
In the tutorials I will assume you have a good basic understanding and knowledge of C# and at least a general sense of what the XNA framework is and can be used to do.

If you would like me to create a tutorial on something not mentioned, Post in the thread and I might read up on it and make something creative to implement it in.

I know some of you guys will have something to say about my choice in XNA as my preferred framework as it is now started to be phased out, but I like it because it is simple, clean and extremely straightforward. This is partly due to the strongly typed nature of C# but nevertheless these traits prevail. It's undeniably a great learning tool and it is very easy and quick to set up scenarios that implement certain features without having to do a lot of setup and pre configuring just to get to a build state where the programmer can see something. Of course there are alternatives but this is what I like so deal with it.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Interesting to see a rise in XNA, again.
I chose what I think would be cool to see.

XBLToothPik

XBLToothPik

Contributor
Programmer Modder Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
i think there are more people here that use C#, but there is nothing interesting going on here either. good luck with the tutorials.

AnonLobbies

AnonLobbies

האחד והיחיד
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, well probably in the future c# will be used more then C++ .

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Why is that?

C# is a much more friendly and organized language. Which drives in more programmers via the market and ultimately more game designers. C# is being worked in on the Xbox One and probably by the next console release (or even this one), C# will be one of the main languages to write games with. Yes C# is taking over.

Fire30

Fire30

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
idk about C# being the language to take over games... Personally I feel it will still be C/C++, but if there was a a change it could easily become Go or Rust compared to C#.

Xeren

Xeren

♦♦♦ God Complex ♦♦♦
Legendary Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
C# is a much more friendly and organized language. Which drives in more programmers via the market and ultimately more game designers. C# is being worked in on the Xbox One and probably by the next console release (or even this one), C# will be one of the main languages to write games with. Yes C# is taking over.

I feel somewhat the same way, but there are some small problems. Managed languages will continue to provide ease and continue to support faster times. It can never truly match up to C/C++ but they can become very similar. An advanced engine written in something such as C# is not very distant from reality, but don't expect it very soon. It seems the only one's truly trying to push it into the future are Microsoft.

Liquid44

Liquid44

Banned
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$

I highly doubt c# will take over for game development, it's nice for high level scripting for like simple AI but the core engine would still be c++. The developers need to squeeze out every little bit of performance they can, especially in the rendering and physics engines. I'd say there would be a push more towards parallel programming frameworks such as CUDA or OpenCL but it adds specific hardware dependencies that companies are hesitant to use it in games now.

Looking at the recent Nvidia Conference (worth watching) the tablet and mobile market is growing rapidly, so If anything Android Java development would most likely be more in demand than c#, the demos showcased were impressive.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I highly doubt c# will take over for game development, it's nice for high level scripting for like simple AI but the core engine would still be c++. The developers need to squeeze out every little bit of performance they can, especially in the rendering and physics engines. I'd say there would be a push more towards parallel programming frameworks such as CUDA or OpenCL but it adds specific hardware dependencies that companies are hesitant to use it in games now.

Looking at the recent Nvidia Conference (worth watching) the tablet and mobile market is growing rapidly, so If anything Android Java development would most likely be more in demand than c#, the demos showcased were impressive.

Haha no im with you, I just said its taking over for the fun of it. It is taking over some things, and C/C++ will still be supreme. What I think is going to happen is something that Unity does. A C# based language that compiles down in to C programming. So you get the features and speed of C, but with the friendly C# syntax.

Call me LEWY

Call me LEWY

Maybe?
Forum Addict Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I stopped learning XNA when I found out microsoft were dropping it for the Xbox One.

12ice

12ice

Reaction score
Sin$
I stopped learning XNA when I found out microsoft were dropping it for the Xbox One.

How come ? XNA can still be used to make iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows, Windows Store / 8, OUYA and Linux games. I don't think Xbox One is an attractive developer platform at all, They really do not do enough for the little guy.

P.s The XML demo will be done this weekend, I have exams Tomorrow and Thursday :smile:

Call me LEWY

Call me LEWY

Maybe?
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you know if XNA will be implemented for the Xbox One?

12ice

12ice

Reaction score
Sin$
Do you know if XNA will be implemented for the Xbox One?

Microsoft themselves have hinted at them supporting it in a porting sort of way although they are pushing for DirectX. However the people from Monogame are looking into making a plugin for Unity. (Although I read this on a blog like a year ago and have heard nothing since).

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-retire-xna-tools-no-plans-to-abandon-directx

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-hints-at-replacement-for-xna-for-xbox-one-indie-game-creators

Call me LEWY

Call me LEWY

Maybe?
Reaction score
Sin$
Microsoft themselves have hinted at them supporting it in a porting sort of way although they are pushing for DirectX. However the people from Monogame are looking into making a plugin for Unity. (Although I read this on a blog like a year ago and have heard nothing since).

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-to-retire-xna-tools-no-plans-to-abandon-directx

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-hints-at-replacement-for-xna-for-xbox-one-indie-game-creators

Unity is good, but I think I like XNA better to be honest.

12ice

12ice

Reaction score
Sin$
Oh by the way guys, What "platform" do you want me to make the tutorials on ?

Out of:
Windows Phone 8/7, Windows (Desktop)
MonoGame: Windows 8 Store (Tablet + PC's) or Android

I know the code between all of them will be 99% the same either way but just so I can put it in a context you guys are either familiar with and/or actually have the devices/OS so you can actually test and debug

Last edited:
Xeren

Xeren

♦♦♦ God Complex ♦♦♦
Legendary Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh by the way guys, What "platform" do you want me to make the tutorials on ?

Out of:
Windows Phone 8/7, Windows (Desktop)
MonoGame: Windows 8 Store (Tablet + PC's) or Android

I know the code between all of them will be 99% the same either way but just so I can out it in a context you guys are either familiar with and actually have the devices/OS so you can actually test and debug

Also someone please tell me how I can mention people on the forums without having to do this quote debacle

Code:
@[Insert Username Here]

xxKILLSH0T69xx

xxKILLSH0T69xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
What i would love to see is someone make a game in unity and use the FFWD to export it into xna ... then from that be able to play it on jtag/rgh consoles with XNA offline. I use to use unity quite a bit and downloaded a map rust ( from mw2 ) from google sketchup store and you can import things made on sketchup and use them on unity, but i havnt tried using this FFWD at all so id like to see if someone capable of making a decent game on unity could try it :biggrin: just some ideas :b

Top Bottom
Login
Register