Discussion What are asset's?

• Thread starter Maybe Ethernet
  • Start date
  • Views 712
M

Maybe Ethernet

Emo? :O
Reaction score
Hello i was playing with the tessaract v2.1 and i was wondering what was the assets menu for. i was wondering if it is really anything important. i wanna learn what they are. can anyone tell me?

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Note: At this point I would normally link you to the Wikia page dedicated to reversing FFs/assets, but it was taken down by Activision Stroth public 7s wiki? :tongue:

I don't know how long you've been modding, but I've been here since before we were editing FFs. Back on TU6, we would decompress the FF files to get access to GSCs/CFGs (rawfile assets which are basically just text, using an app like ffViewer). I knew this was a problem from day 1. The rawfiles that you edit must be the same size or smaller because you can't add bytes into an FF easily (not impossible). Not only this, but there was massive amounts of data (other types of assets) that people were skipping (Heres my first attempts to map that extra data, before we switched to the wikia).

Then I made ZoneHandler which can decomrpess any FF, no matter the size. ffViewer always failed on the common_mp and such... Lost4468 made ffCompiler, which I think was another big help. It compiled assets from a folder (similar to the Tesseract's setup), but it compiles them into a custom FF. Slightly better because now rawfiles don't have small size limits, which is what everyone wanted to edit anyway, but it was also cutting out all that extra data I was mentioning earlier.

With the Tesseract I tried to change all of this. FFs don't even need to be edited now. You can put all the rawfiles you want to edit into the "raw\" folder and the Tesseract will compile them (except for GSCs, where compiling was removed). Then I tried to map as much of the extra data as possible. Then I can load the new data in whatever format I want, but I tried to match IW's source format. Stringtables I know follow their source format, and the Tesseract compiles them easily. Weapons can't even be editing anything like they are in FFs. You can use the menu in the Tesseract to dump assets, then you can pick out what assets you want to edit and put them in the "raw\" folder to have the Tesseract load them.

Lastly, if you want to look through the old Wikia, I do have a backup. Please realize that the MW2 page is severely outdated, and I hadn't even added to it for about a year prior to it being taken down...

Also note the Tesseract was only ever released for MW2, but it works all the way up to Ghosts.

M

Maybe Ethernet

Reaction score
Note: At this point I would normally link you to the Wikia page dedicated to reversing FFs/assets, but it was taken down by Activision Stroth public 7s wiki? :tongue:

I don't know how long you've been modding, but I've been here since before we were editing FFs. Back on TU6, we would decompress the FF files to get access to GSCs/CFGs (rawfile assets which are basically just text, using an app like ffViewer). I knew this was a problem from day 1. The rawfiles that you edit must be the same size or smaller because you can't add bytes into an FF easily (not impossible). Not only this, but there was massive amounts of data (other types of assets) that people were skipping (Heres my first attempts to map that extra data, before we switched to the wikia).

Then I made ZoneHandler which can decomrpess any FF, no matter the size. ffViewer always failed on the common_mp and such... Lost4468 made ffCompiler, which I think was another big help. It compiled assets from a folder (similar to the Tesseract's setup), but it compiles them into a custom FF. Slightly better because now rawfiles don't have small size limits, which is what everyone wanted to edit anyway, but it was also cutting out all that extra data I was mentioning earlier.

With the Tesseract I tried to change all of this. FFs don't even need to be edited now. You can put all the rawfiles you want to edit into the "raw\" folder and the Tesseract will compile them (except for GSCs, where compiling was removed). Then I tried to map as much of the extra data as possible. Then I can load the new data in whatever format I want, but I tried to match IW's source format. Stringtables I know follow their source format, and the Tesseract compiles them easily. Weapons can't even be editing anything like they are in FFs. You can use the menu in the Tesseract to dump assets, then you can pick out what assets you want to edit and put them in the "raw\" folder to have the Tesseract load them.

Lastly, if you want to look through the old Wikia, I do have a backup. Please realize that the MW2 page is severely outdated, and I hadn't even added to it for about a year prior to it being taken down...

Also note the Tesseract was only ever released for MW2, but it works all the way up to Ghosts.
oh ok so is editing the assets pointless now or what? like name some things u can do with it. im getting it a little bit more and more as i read it over and over. and would it be possible to load GSC scripts in the raw folder?

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
oh ok so is editing the assets pointless now or what? like name some things u can do with it. im getting it a little bit more and more as i read it over and over. and would it be possible to load GSC scripts in the raw folder?
Yes, but the game doesn't compile them, so there would be no change. You can comile cfgs, and just about any other asset. Weapon editing, stringtables control abit, localized strings, tracers.... I provided some examples in the Tesseract so you can see how its done. Just about everything is a txt file. (cept images)

M

Maybe Ethernet

Reaction score
Yes, but the game doesn't compile them, so there would be no change. You can comile cfgs, and just about any other asset. Weapon editing, stringtables control abit, localized strings, tracers.... I provided some examples in the Tesseract so you can see how its done. Just about everything is a txt file. (cept images)
what are the images for?

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
what are the images for?
The ones included in the Tesseract replace some of the minimaps (Afghan, Checkpoint, Rust, and Terminal). The images are raw DDS data, no header, and they must be pre-swizzled and pre-tiled.

M

Maybe Ethernet

Reaction score
The ones included in the Tesseract replace some of the minimaps (Afghan, Checkpoint, Rust, and Terminal). The images are raw DDS data, no header, and they must be pre-swizzled and pre-tiled.
oh ok. and i loaded the tessaract v2.1 in mw3 [not mw2] and i get an out of memory 2 error. and also if i wanted to i could edit that minigun base in rust and like make an actual base within the raw files?

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
oh ok. and i loaded the tessaract v2.1 in mw3 [not mw2] and i get an out of memory 2 error. and also if i wanted to i could edit that minigun base in rust and like make an actual base within the raw files?
I said I only released it for MW2... Privately it works on everything else...

Also, heres an upgraded version of the base. I know people have made their own versions with it before. You just have to edit the maps/mp/mp_rust.d3dbsp (i think)...

S

Sputnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could I patch and XeX on lets say MW3, Could I load tesseract on it?

O

Official Se7ensins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could I patch and XeX on lets say MW3, Could I load tesseract on it?
No. I'd say Ryan has a version specifically for the other Call of Duty's (editing small things to work with the title).

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Oh.
I want to see MW3 and BO2 Tesseract.
That'll be interesting
I never thought anyone would care.... I never finished the menu part for BO2, its just asset compilers... I suppose I could probably get away with posting it now.

M

Maybe Ethernet

Reaction score
I never thought anyone would care.... I never finished the menu part for BO2, its just asset compilers... I suppose I could probably get away with posting it now.
YEESSS CRAIG FINISH TESSERACT!!!! PLEASE IT IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPEND IN COD!!

S

Sputnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig, Can I PM you about something right quick.
And yes why would I not care.
I bought a legit dev-kit to explore development.

C

CraigChrist8239

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Craig, Can I PM you about something right quick.
And yes why would I not care.
I bought a legit dev-kit to explore development.
Its not like I have a block on my PMs... Usually if the person is rude/stupid or not worth my time, I won't respond...
EDIT: And no one really cared about the Tesseract for MW2's asset compilers, why would they use BO2s? And I can partially edit GSCs on BO2, which 3arc might care about, lol

Top Bottom