What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Discussion Game Mods PS3 All What actually are Fast Files (and .gsc's)?

ClainBill

ClainBill

Reaction score
Sin$
First of all, this is my first post on this forum so if I'm tagging wrong or something, that's why.

But anyways, I started looking at modding COD WaW zombies on my PS3 during lockdown, and recently got back into it after graduating, but I could never actually understand what the .ff files were.

I have used various .ff editors and I know they can decompile the fast files to show (I'm assuming) all of its text files, and then repack it - but surely there's more than just text in them because where's the map information? and assets?

Just to be crystal clear I am quite new to modding games, and all I know is what I've gathered from scouring the internet for any old information, but this is something I just can't understand.

In case you want some context as to why I'm modding, I want to (try to) edit Nacht Der Untoten on the PS3 so I can get perks in the map because it's the only game I can get my dad to play, and I think it would be much cooler to be able to tell him I modified the map so we could finally beat our record. I knew it probably wouldn't be possible, but I'm still trying and I don't see why it wouldn't be with a bit of elbow grease and pixy dust.

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Scaling the Mountain Beginning of An Odyssey Bright Idea
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Unfortunately, most of the CoDwaw modders have long since unplugged their keyboards. I don’t recall any specific changes to maps being made on console, but on PC I know this is entirely possible.

You can utilize certain mod menus (Physics n Flex) is one I know of off hand that will have like custom game modes that you can trigger from within the game.

coolbunnymodz

coolbunnymodz

The Original Bunny
Programmer 10th Anniversary Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
For PC, map editing is definitely possible - I'd recommend checking out Zeroy's wiki on creating custom maps. For console, I don't recall it being a possibility, your best bet would be to either utilize a mod menu out there, or you could create an interactive model and assign dvars for a pseudo perk machine :smile:

primetime43

primetime43

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
First of all, this is my first post on this forum so if I'm tagging wrong or something, that's why.

But anyways, I started looking at modding COD WaW zombies on my PS3 during lockdown, and recently got back into it after graduating, but I could never actually understand what the .ff files were.

I have used various .ff editors and I know they can decompile the fast files to show (I'm assuming) all of its text files, and then repack it - but surely there's more than just text in them because where's the map information? and assets?

Just to be crystal clear I am quite new to modding games, and all I know is what I've gathered from scouring the internet for any old information, but this is something I just can't understand.

In case you want some context as to why I'm modding, I want to (try to) edit Nacht Der Untoten on the PS3 so I can get perks in the map because it's the only game I can get my dad to play, and I think it would be much cooler to be able to tell him I modified the map so we could finally beat our record. I knew it probably wouldn't be possible, but I'm still trying and I don't see why it wouldn't be with a bit of elbow grease and pixy dust.

I've made this ff editor for ps3 to try to help preserve some of the old modding scene knowledge/tools since a lot of it has been lost to time since a lot of stuff at that time was not open sourced/shared.

[Click here to view this link]

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register