• Start date
  • Views 4,209
P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey there Se7enSins!
With the new game development section, I felt it might be time to post this thread...finally!
So! What is this thread? This is about 3 - 4 thread ideas in one.
This thread will contain resources, links, tutorials, basic info, and more as time goes on! Each thing will be split into it's own section also! Now, without further delay. Let's get started!

Welcome to Game Development
Welcome! Game development is both a fun and challenging task, but if you're up for it. It's worth your time. So the major question that any new developer will ask is, "What engine and/or language is right for me?" Here's your answer, it all depends. Depends on what? Many things. However, I suggest any new developer to try out Unity 3D to get your feet a little wet before you go and get yourself a copy, or crack, of any other engine.

So let's look at what you're doing. Are you doing a mobile game? Web based game? 2D platform game? Console game? This will affect what you use. You don't want to use something like CryEngine for a mobile game, it won't work. However, Unity has mobile options! You see what I mean?
I really suggest that you use Unity at first since you can export to many platforms and it's a great start up.

Next thing to cover is languages. Yes, games have different languages. Let's look at an example, we're going to say "Hello World!" in both C++ and C#.
Code:
C++
#include <iostream>
int main()
{
  std::cout << "Hello World!";
}
Code:
C#
public class HelloWorld
{
   public static void Main()
   {
      System.Console.WriteLine("Hello World!");
   }
}
See the difference? Both are saying "Hello World!" however they're done differently.

When it comes down to it, it's really about what you're comfortable with and what your engine will allow you to code in. Unity (yes, I refer to Unity a lot) allows C#, JavaScript, and Boo; when other engines may only use C++. So mess around and figure out which one you enjoy the most.
Some of you will come back and say, "I don't now how to do this and that and I've been working on coding all day! I thought I would know how to create this by now!" I don't want to discourage any of you, however, I don't want to beat around the bush either. Remember this, Rome was not built in a day. Okay? It can take years of practice and studying to fully know a language. I've been studying some of this stuff for months and barely know anything! The possibilities with languages only grow more and more! Don't expect to create the next Call of Duty in a week, just going to be blunt. However, don't let this discourage you! Keep going and keep studying and you'll be on your way to a game development job in no time!

Word of advice. I would suggest rather than you copying tutorials and their code, you learn how the code works. Following a tutorial is fine, believe me; but instead of just following it and slapping their code in, learn it. Learn how it works. Learn the difference between Vector2 and Vector3. So, do your research!

The T.A.P.P. Decision Making Process
I am always asked about what to choose language wise for programming, also asked which game engine to use. This may already exist, but I'm going to explain it in my own custom way. T.A.P.P. (you don't have to have the periods so it can just be TAPP, that's how I will say it from now on) is something I thought of when someone asked me about what programming language I suggest them to learn. So I use TAPP to help them choose.
So what is TAPP? It stands for Target, Audience, Product, Preference. These sound alike, but they're not! Here's a more in-depth explanation of it.
Target:

Target, this is not meaning target audience. This is mean target platform. Is it mobile? Console? PC? Specifically is it Android, iOS, OSX, Windows, Xbox 360, etc.. This is very important to choosing your game engine.
Audience:
Who will be playing it? Usually this doesn't matter too much unless the language or engine will give a specific feel. Example, using DotNetBar always gives off a certain feeling.
This also comes into play in some way with your game too. If you're creating a simple 2D kids game, you have no need to use Unreal Engine. That is important also.
Product:
The product. This has to be most important. What kind of game are you creating? A high quality 3D game or a simple 2D. This will highly affect the engine you use.
Preference:
Simple enough to understand. Preference of engine and language. Example, I prefer C# and Unity. However, I'll use something else if I need to.
I hope this helps you guys out in some way. It's a rough description, so sorry about that.

Tutorials

Resources
These are some resources found all over the internet that could be useful to you in your journey to become a developer. This can be small packs for materials and scene objects or full projects.

Unity
2D Platformer Project (Free)
Campfire Pack (Free)

Miscellaneous (Can be used with anything)
Gallows Game Assets (Free) - From GoldBl4d3 GoldBl4d3

Game Engines
Here's some links to different engines for a variety platforms.

Unreal Engine
About
Unreal Engine is a very popular game engine that has become even more popular with the new subscription based program! Unreal Engine, if I remember correctly, uses UnrealScript which is close to Java in some cases. They have ditched UnrealScript and went to C++! Finally!

Platforms

Available on...
Windows and Mac

Can compile for...
[As of right now] For Unreal Engine 4: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, iOS, Android, and Web (and everything available on Unreal Engine 3)
For Unreal Engine 3: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, Android, iOS, Windows RT, PlayStation Vita, Adobe Flash Player, and Web
Links
Unreal Engine 3
Unreal Engine 4

CryEngine
About
An engine that created popular games such as Crysis and Far Cry! This one is based more on Lua.

Platforms

Available on...
Windows

Can compile for... (this one was a hard one to find more or less)
Microsoft Windows, Linux, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One, iOS, and Android
Links
CryEngine 1
CryEngine 2
CryEngine 3

Unity
About
Unity has to be one of the more common engines. It created games such as Rust, Slender: The Eight Pages, Slender: The Arrival, Mr. President, and many more. People on here, including myself, use Unity for projects. You can use C#, Boo, and JavaScript.

Platforms

Available on...
Windows and Mac

Can compile for...
Windows, Mac, Linux, SteamOS (I believe), Web, iOS, Android, Blackberry, Playstation 3/4, Wii, Windows Phone, Xbox 360/ONE, PS Vita
Links
Unity Free
Unity Pro
Other Engines

Here's some other game engines that are just out there and used today, just not as popular.
Source (This is a popular engine, however it's really only used by Valve and mods for Valve games)
Game Maker
Blender (Yes, there's a game engine too)
FPSC
Stencyl
PLAYIR
Construct2
3D Modeling Tools
Here's a couple 3D modeling tools.
Blender
3DS Max
Cinema 4D

Message to moderators and up. Please feel free to update the thread as you wish!
If you want to suggest something for the thread, feel free to suggest it here. I will ignore messages and profile posts.
This thread will be constantly updated, give it time to grow.

Edit: 9/3/2014 - Added 4.6 UI Tutorial by Coldfire202
Edit: 9/14/2014 - Added Using PlayerPrefs tutorial by Coldfire202
Edit: 10/16/2014 - Updated layout, added T.A.P.P., more information posted about the engines.
Edit: 10/19/2014 - Added Simple Automatic Door tutorial by Coldfire202
Edit: 10/31/2014 - Added Anti-Cheat Toolkit tutorial by Coldfire202
Edit: 11/3/2014 - Added Occlusion Culling & You by Coldfire202

Last edited:
rohly

rohly

rohly420
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey 5th Anniversary Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
When you get home work on formatting but besides that it looks good so far. I've been quite interested in game development and hopefully I can jump into it sometime. Keep up the good work.

P

pwfdc

Reaction score
Sin$
When you get home work on formatting but besides that it looks good so far. I've been quite interested in game development and hopefully I can jump into it sometime. Keep up the good work.
Still out. At lowes currently. I will change up some stuff ASAP. :smile:
Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: rohly rohly , I changed it up. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:
P

pwfdc

Reaction score
Sin$
PCMasterRace

PCMasterRace

Glorious
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
You could add Construct2 to game engines, it's what I first got into when starting out.

First game I ever put together
IaUNfSS.png

Call me LEWY

Call me LEWY

Maybe?
Forum Addict Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
You should also consider making games from scratch using C# or Java. It's fun to create your own physics.

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
You should also consider making games from scratch using C# or Java. It's fun to create your own physics.
Physics are next to impossible for me, I just don't understand the concept well enough.

P

pwfdc

Reaction score
Sin$
Physics are next to impossible for me, I just don't understand the concept well enough.
Some are very complicated, honestly...my physics class has actually has helped me a lot...surprisingly enough!

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Some are very complicated, honestly...my physics class has actually has helped me a lot...surprisingly enough!
I can't take physics at my school currently, we only have 3-4 weeks left and then I'm out.

Call me LEWY

Call me LEWY

Maybe?
Forum Addict Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
What is your purpose of stating this? Is it referring to tutorials?
Yes. You've listed a lot engines that have physics already made for you, I'm saying it's cool to make your own stuff from scratch.

Top Bottom
Login
Register