Website design

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Night Train, Feb 14, 2009 with 8 replies and 120 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Train

Night Train Getting There

Ratings:
    So my friends dad asks me if i can make him a website, well i said i could certainly try and figure it out. So now i ask what are the key things when creating a website that i should know and how should I go about doing it in the first place. Yes i know a very general question.

2. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Really it all depends on the website. MY suggestion is that you use a structured layout using HTML forms. Then you want to keep your site style uniform by the utlization of css stylesheets. Finally, if you want dynamic pages, use PHP as your main language.

Some key tips are:
    - Keep your site simple. Don't make things overly complex or flashy. Such example would be a fixed background image that just hurts the people.
    - Make navigation easy, let it flow. Last thing you want is for people to not be able to find what they're looking for, if they cant find it in a short period of time, they won't bother.
    - Keep a uniform style scheme, and structured. Make it look neat, keeping it organized adds a professional feel. Make sure to keep it fluid. If you're going to use custom font sizes, table sizes, etc... use either a percentage size (ie Width="80%"), and ALWAYS use EM sizes for CSS font sizes. These sizes are basically stacked on top of one another, meaning no matter what the person's resolution is set to, one font will always be in proportion to another. More info: [Click here to view the link]

However if you know what kinda site you plan to do, I can offer more advice.

3. OP
    Night Train

Ratings:
    Well the basic premise of the website is to just give people a tad of information on what the guys does for a living, so basically it have a homepage with a few links that would just redirect you to a different part of the site and give you some text based information, so all in all it is just a nice looking website with some text and links, not to much to do I'm sure, but another question i have is where is the best place to host it and would it cost anything

4. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Since you are just starting out, I'd ask him if it would be alright to use a template. Your first designs are NOT going to be breath-taking.

5. TiNd3r

TiNd3r Retired Retired

Ratings:
  6. OP
    Night Train

Ratings:
    Yes i can use a template and i have never worked with dreamweaver tinder

7. Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    i have server space. i could host it for him as long as he gets his own domain.

8. OP
    Night Train

Ratings:
    Thanks Mizwax let me actually attempt to make the site first then i'll get back to you

9. Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    lol, alrighty. just let me know. and im thinking about upgrading my features, so ill have basically unlimited everything if i do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.