Vista Hangs at Start up

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Bac0n, Nov 30, 2008 with 11 replies and 122 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Im having a few problems with my cousins laptop. So heres what happened.

All was working fine since it was purchased(4 months ago), then 2 days ago he launched firefox to check his email. Then windows explorer freezes, CTRL+ALT+DELT did nothing, so he was forced to do a hard reboot.

The computer rebooted and now hangs on the Microsoft logo screen with the loading bar, and it sits there until we turn it off.

Tried booting into safe mode and after it loads the file "CRCDISK.sys" the system just sits there for about 10 minutes, then restarts.

I have tried system recovery, start up repair, and nothing works. Google turned up with alot of people with the problem, but no definate answer.

There has been NO software installed, music/videos downloaded, nothing has been done for over a month. Reformatting is not really an option, so if thats what you are going to post, do not post at all.

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Well if there has been no software installed then I would assume it's gotta be a hardware problem. It couldn't hurt to check to see if its the RAM, if you have two sticks try pulling one out and booting with just it, if it works then you know your problem, if not try the other one. If that doesn't work then you should just contact the manufacturer.

3. OP
    Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Already did a memory test on both sticks of memory..

Bump, did a test on the hard drive and its fine also.

4. T3ECLIPSE

T3ECLIPSE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    send it back my laptop did that but i sent it back after all the annoying testing. but just send it in trust me.

5. Sharp Focus

Sharp Focus Getting There

Ratings:
    Lol, he would not ask us for help if he was going to send it in.

6. T3ECLIPSE

T3ECLIPSE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    true but i couldnt figure it out and i took it to my friend thats a microsoft technician and he couldnt figure it out

7. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    No offense, but if you've checked the disk, checked for hardware problems, etc., and still can't find the source of the problem... and startup repair didn't do the trick... I think you're going to have to reformat. Just use a live boot disk, put all the stuff on an external, and so on.

I'm going to assume you've also tried to check the disk via DOS and a Linux command line?

If it wasn't the hard drive, the memory, etc., then it can only really be something like the processor, and if the processor was dead then you wouldn't get as far as you are getting.

8. OP
    Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:

Yea im working on it now, i booted windows XP off a USB drive and im backing up the files now. Takes forever since its running at USB 1 speed because no drivers are installed. It just irritates me that nothing was done to the PC. It seems to be a problem with laptops, haven't found a desktop in my searches with the problem.

9. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I once had that problem on my desktop. Power surge caused my power-protector to shut the PC down, and it wouldn't boot past the loading screen after. A simple re-install did the trick though, so I'm certain it will work for you.

10. OP
    Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:

2 hours later, 1% backup complete. Im guessing ill be here a while.

11. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    It might be because your USB ports are running at USB 1.0 speed?

12. OP
    Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Got it working again, thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.