Vista Dual-Boot

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by MoRa, Dec 23, 2008 with 8 replies and 305 views.

1. MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    Hey guys well I have a Vista Laptop.

Specs: AMD Turion X64 Dual Core Processor ZM-80
    2.10 GHz
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

I have Windows Vista as my primary OS and I have dual-boot to Linux installed, but I want to also dual-boot to XP, so it can be sort of like a triple-boot.

But I have a problem, when I insert the XP Professional disc on my Laptop it loads and what not, but then after a while I get the blue screen, saying that it encountered a problem that windows was stopped to prevent any damage and that there might be a problem with Hardware.

So is it possible with my type of computer to run XP on it? Or do I have to download a specific XP version. Help would greatly be appreciated.

2. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    Did you make another partition for XP? Or are you trying to install it from inside Vista, because that won't work.

3. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
  4. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    I'll try this thanks, and another thing how is it running multiple OS's at the same time? Glitchy Laggy?

And also like the whole point I want to go to XP is to be able to play a game I downloaded, will I be able to install and play the game?

5. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    You should be fine with those specs, but turning off aero is probably a good idea if you're gonna run XP inside of Vista. I've never personally tried gaming in a virtual machine, so I don't know how well it would run, if at all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    Thanks bro for the responses I'll get back here later to post my results :biggrin:

7. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned you can't install XP with Vista already installed... or have they fixed that?

You'd have to uninstall Vista then install XP.

After testing it out in a virtual machine, uninstall Vista (back up your files), then install XP in a partition of about 50% of your hard drive's size. Then reinstall Vista.

Booting XP and Vista simultaneously remains one of the most annoying Windows ventures of the 21st century. :frown: Why not just run XP and Ubuntu, or Vista and Slackware :frown:?

8. Zarcu

Zarcu Contributor

Ratings:
    Thats not true. You can install XP on another partition and then rebuild the MBR and get the vista boot loader back.

9. OP
    MoRa

MoRa Banned

Ratings:
    I know I could do that, but whenever I would boot from the CD at startup I would get the blue screen. So I just decided to do the virtual box and it worked perfectly.