VIRUS WORSE THAN EVER

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Mountain Dew, Jul 20, 2009 with 6 replies and 290 views.

1. Mountain Dew

Mountain Dew Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I cant do anything now...
    It wont boot the CD on start up or let me open it through my computer.
    Do i just trash/ salvage it or what?

2. badef

badef Enthusiast

Ratings:
    no don't trash it yet i believe as long as it's not hardware screwed it's fixible somehow.I don't know how to fix that but i just wanted to tell u as long as it turns on there's hope.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Mountain Dew

Mountain Dew Enthusiast

Ratings:
    HAHA
    Any ideas i have several linux CD's I installed one inside of my xp and that was the last thing i was able to do before it stopped wanting to do anything.
    Also it says I DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ACCESS THIS FILE...
    Thanks

4. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    depending on what the virus is, either you can salvage your files or you can't. If it infected the bootloader, then it will just infect other computers when you plug your hdd in, but quite honestly it doesn't sound like it does that.
    Just do a reformat of the hard-drive. Just put in the XP disk like you're installing windows again, then when it goes to select a drive to install to, delete all the formats, make a new one, and install to that. The virus will be long gone afterwards :wink:

5. OP
    Mountain Dew

Mountain Dew Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Thanks i just decided to go with linux ubuntu and its working great!
    except I cant get the internet to work !!:cursing::cursing:
    Its ubuntu 9.04 edition

6. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    You will have to find an ubuntu-compatible driver then, doubt it's something with the OS itself.
    That's the only thing I didn't like about linux is that some drivers just aren't made for certain flavours of linux, such as red hat, or ubuntu.
    If it's a wireless card, find the underlying chipset. For example, my belkin wireless G card uses a Ralink 2500 chipset, so while there aren't any good drivers from belkin, there are plenty for the 2500. If you had a wireless card, I advise you try to find the chipset as that is the best way to find compatible drivers.

7. OP
    Mountain Dew

Mountain Dew Enthusiast

Ratings:

Thanks, I got it a different way. took bout half hour but it was easy.
    Just updated the manager then went to the terminal and updated than I just reloaded the hardware drivers then it my wireless card come up and it just connected from there.
    easy but took a while.