Virus - Help?

rohly

rohly

rohly420
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey 5th Anniversary Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I have an external HDD where I save everything on. A couple weeks ago when I opened it and it would show the root of the drive but then would freeze. Then when you click on it the window gets a white shade over the whole screen(this means that it is not responding and has froze). Then you have to either click on it again or click the X and a not responding bubble pops up and I have to close it. Every time I click on it this happens. It doesn't freeze the whole computer just the windows explorer tab that is open. What is also weird is I can install stuff to the drive. I have downloaded many things to the drive but cannot get to the drive. The other thing I noticed was that when I first open the drive it gets stuck on the root screen and I can see something that wasn't usually there. It is a file called w.l setup or something like that. It also somehow was on my desktop and flash drive (I deleted it from those two). When I had it on the flash drive it did the same thing. This is what I think is causing it. I can't delete because I can't open the drive and I can't format the drive (this is how I cleared it from my flash drive) because it will delete everything. I have over 300 Gbs of data on it. Can anyone help me?

If your wondering why I posted this in GD it's because there is no virus section or anything like it.

ToxicMoDz

ToxicMoDz

Getting There
Experienced Veteran Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you have a Anti-Virus program on your computer?

Pyth0n

Pyth0n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you want to keep your data and you can't access the files on Windows, boot Linux and just use it to copy the files over onto either your Windows drive (if you have space) or another external drive. You don't have to install Linux, just burn it to a disk or put it on a usb stick and live boot it.

mirGantrophy

xGrim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Try scanning with some antivirus programs first.
Spybot S&D
Malwarebyte's anti-malware

If those don't work you can boot to a Live CD/Linux and delete the files manually

Top Bottom
Login
Register