What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Discussion Virtual machine question

Status
Not open for further replies.
______

______

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
G’day 7s! Today I have a question regarding my friends Windows XP computer, I can’t really say what the specs are from the top of my head though I know one thing for certain, the computer is not great and quite old. ( i could find out specs if that helps in a few days )

I was wondering if setting up a virtual machine would be plausible, with the intent to run fortnite/GTA or any other games that are way more demanding than the PC could fathom.

I asked another friend for advice on the matter and they were under the impression a virtual machine is similar to an emulator and would still require decent hardware to ‘emulate’. Is this incorrect? I don’t know a great deal so i didn’t want to call them out for saying this.

After a quick google search I found what I thought a virtual machine is.

“A virtual machine (VM) is an operating system (OS) or application environment that is installed on software, which imitates dedicated hardware. The end user has the same experience on a virtual machine as they would have on dedicated hardware”

With that being said shouldn’t I be able to play high end games on the old windows XP ? And if not how come I can’t ? is it indeed quite similar to emulation or ??

M

MissyCrissy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,
My experience with a virtual machine is like this.
Think about two computers. One powerful and one low spec like win xp. Install GTA on the powerful one and VM on both. VM is a portal that opens a window to your powerful computer so that u play GTA on the powerful hardware but with a window open on win xp PC.

On other words VM is a portal to another machine that runs a software

______

______

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,
My experience with a virtual machine is like this.
Think about two computers. One powerful and one low spec like win xp. Install GTA on the powerful one and VM on both. VM is a portal that opens a window to your powerful computer so that u play GTA on the powerful hardware but with a window open on win xp PC.

On other words VM is a portal to another machine that runs a software
Allright cheers this gives me something to work with thank you very much. On a side note I have seen a few YouTube videos of people deleting system 32 on their virtual machines and they say “ah it’s just a VM no need to worry “ so how does that work?? They wouldn’t be frying their own pc obviously

According to that google quote I got a virtual machine is an operating system or application environment so I dare say your experience with a VM is on the operating system side of things and I want to know the application environment side of it because
I imagined the high end pc would be virtual and non existent :tongue:

ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
So you're hoping you could upgrade the computer by installing software?
That's never ever possible.

And to simply explain a VM, it's just like any program you'd normally use on your computer.
Open the program and launch your VM.

sW3MyVQ.png

______

______

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
So you're hoping you could upgrade the computer by installing software?
That's never ever possible.

And to simply explain a VM, it's just like any program you'd normally use on your computer.
Open the program and launch your VM.

sW3MyVQ.png
No this isn’t a thread how to upgrade windows XP I didn’t ask that

That doesn’t answer my question on VM either

ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
No this isn’t a thread how to upgrade windows XP I didn’t ask that
You were wondering about installing a VM on the old computer running Windows XP? No?
I was wondering if setting up a virtual machine would be plausible, with the intent to run fortnite/GTA or any other games that are way more demanding than the PC could fathom.
With that being said shouldn’t I be able to play high end games on the old windows XP ? And if not how come I can’t ? is it indeed quite similar to emulation or ??
Answer is no, you can never upgrade your computer by installing software (a VM)
And it'd be likely such an old computer would struggle even with keeping the VM running.

That doesn’t answer my question on VM either
What is your question then?

Ultra Pikey

Ultra Pikey

The Welshman
AzzidReign Jr Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
If your intent is to run the game within the VM because they host computer lacks the essential hardware to run it. Then the answer would be no as the VM will share the RAM and CPU and internet connection. Most VM wizards will have you sharing the hosts internet connection. Which is like using dialup.

Also your average VM needs like 2GB of RAM and around 60GB of HDD space. Basically don't bother... it's not worth the effort.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
No, you can't use software to enhance your hardware. get a better PC if you want to run games! :wink:
This is like saying "can I download some RAM?!" lol. :roflmao:

______

______

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
If your intent is to run the game within the VM because they host computer lacks the essential hardware to run it. Then the answer would be no as the VM will share the RAM and CPU and internet connection. Most VM wizards will have you sharing the hosts internet connection. Which is like using dialup.

Also your average VM needs like 2GB of RAM and around 60GB of HDD space. Basically don't bother... it's not worth the effort.
Cheers yep their is no way it would reach anywhere near those specs

No, you can't use software to enhance your hardware. get a better PC if you want to run games! :wink:
This is like saying "can I download some RAM?!" lol. :roflmao:
Hehe because that was my next question :wink:

Ok I get it!
So I have a laptop It is on windows 10 I think it has 4-8 gb ram, 64 bit and 1 tb of HDD, is it viable to setup a VM on that ?
It runs games on low settings about 20 FPS and it isn’t built for gaming

______

______

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Also how does one go about getting a host ?
As I have a laptop that should reach specs for the VM

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
You don't get it though..
No, software can't help your hardware run better. want to play games? buy better hardware. no amount of software will help.
You can install and run a VM on pretty much any system but depending on your systems specs, it might not be stable.

VirtualBox is a good VM and I use it often.
Just because your system can run a VM, it does NOT mean it can run games inside that VM. your hardware is limited. no gpu acceleration unless tweaked etc.

Seriously, just get a better PC. you can buy secondhand one's on eBay and Amazon cheap enough! :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register