Virgin Media, slow wifi while uploading to YouTube

• Thread starter Hende
  • Start date
  • Views 191
H

Hende

PC Master Race
Reaction score
So when i'm not uploading or downloading big files my download speed is 110mbps and upload is 10mbps. However as soon as i start uploading YouTube both of them decrease dramatically. They often go to about 3mbps !

It's really annoying and basically means i cannot do anything else while i am uploading.

Does anyone else have this problem?

W

Woddell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Download speed shouldn't be affected when you're uploading. From personal experience I'd say it's their router. I left virgin and went to BT because every time I used my FireTV Stick to watch Netflix I couldn't even check Facebook on any other wireless device. I'd recommend giving them a phone. They couldn't fix my issue but that doesn't mean they can't fix yours.

E

Ephemera

This is my part nobody else speak
Reaction score
Download speed shouldn't be affected when you're uploading. From personal experience I'd say it's their router. I left virgin and went to BT because every time I used my FireTV Stick to watch Netflix I couldn't even check Facebook on any other wireless device. I'd recommend giving them a phone. They couldn't fix my issue but that doesn't mean they can't fix yours.
This is a common belief that is wrong. When uploading speeds are being stressed it will definitely slowed both. To simply put it, you can only download as fast as you can upload. If your letting the server know you X amount of packets at a time you need a constant upload speed to have it consistently update the server. If the upload speed is being stressed, expect a download speed decrease. Keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean that you require symmetrical internet speeds.

H

Hende

PC Master Race
Reaction score
This is a common belief that is wrong. When uploading speeds are being stressed it will definitely slowed both. To simply put it, you can only download as fast as you can upload. If your letting the server know you X amount of packets at a time you need a constant upload speed to have it consistently update the server. If the upload speed is being stressed, expect a download speed decrease. Keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean that you require symmetrical internet speeds.
hmm thank you for this, i guess i'll just deal with it then XD

Top Bottom