What's new

Tutorial Viper dual nand install guide (For trinty motherboards)

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Viper dual nand qsb install guide

"I realize this guide is far from perfect and some of the pics are a bit blurry I just slapped it together while doing an install. lol. if something isn't clear just let me know and ill do my best to fix it"​

Figured i would make another dual nand install guide. This time rather than using the squirt dna board we will be using the Viper dual nand qsb by The Modshop. I've installed a bunch of these now and they are easy to install and really stream line the entire process with quick solder points.

Remember this?
cnk1m6Rm.png

As an added benefit you dont have to cut any traces when using the viper dual nand!

you want to start with an already rgh'd trinity using an acev3. Just like with the squirt you want to use 15432's dual nand timing files.

NOTE:
You must use the srgh pack 2 for this mod. The original "release" pack with the 300, 200, 150mhz timings will not work. Before starting, go ahead and find a timing file from the srgh2 pack that gives you acceptable boot times and have it already on the ace. (The ones in the pro folder.)
I start with the files in the Pro/Trinity/ best_timings/ pack_1_best folder. the file 51_1 usually ends up being the best for my wire routing /lengths but your mileage may vary. 50_1 is another good file to try.

tfMnVg2l.jpg

Flip the board over to install the chip.
oxFG92bl.jpg

clean up the entire area . Test fit the chip noting where all the quick solder points are. Remove the chip and flux / pre-tin those points.

z9KzRj5l.jpg

clean up all the flux with 99 percent rubbing alcohol and put the chip back in place. Put some fresh flux on everything that we will be soldering like in the picture below.

OGB34FSl.jpg

pre-tin your iron and touch the iron to one of the pads of the motherboard and the chip at the same time while holding the chip in place with your other hand. (you could tape it down as-well). once one of the qsb points is soldered in, the chip will stay in place. Be gentle with it though because you don't want to rip out any pads!! now you can carefully solder in all the remaining points to the motherboard. once they are all done you can now bridge some solder from either side of the capacitor to the chip like in the image bellow. (Wow that is a lot of solder!!)
u0lfZBkl.jpg
CznBOmIm.jpg

When dealing with qsb points I find it best to come in vertically with my iron, touch the motherboard via, bring in some solder and lean the iron back towards the chip to let it flow.(hopefully that makes sense)

Now start attaching the wires to both chips. we will start with the rb point

XKLfQdVl.jpg
4hGnOJlm.jpg

next we will move to the Ace chip and prep the points we will be using.

kFZj0qel.jpg

ip4welAl.jpg

after prepping those points attach the SMC reset wire from the Ace to the motherboard.

PXtc37Ql.jpg
H9suUOFm.jpg

Note: latter on when writing to the nands we will be using the same point (smc reset) on the opposite side of the board. After attaching your nand cable be sure and double check that this bottom wire is still in position and soldered up well.

Next we can attach the two CE points to the Ace.

MhHILUgl.jpg
nQ67yL4l.jpg

And then run them through the board to the corresponding pads on the Viper.

skfRlyol.jpg
ROxKhPsl.jpg

Now we can run the a wire from rf pad 13 on the bottom of the board up to the ace. This will allow us to switch nands using the sync button.

Tfvlv0Wl.jpg
6eWn1Pom.jpg
xWuKAvul.jpg

Now, the Ace's debug light will flash when we switch nands. However, we wont be able to see that very well with the console put back together. So we will tap into that circuit and bring it out to an led on the rol. you could just run a wire to the rol or, I like to take advantage of the unused rf pin (4).

Prep the point on the Ace (note: in the official Viper image it shows the top point after the resistor, but I've always used the bottom of it before the resistor).
AZNbCGNl.jpg

chip is upside down in these images
w8MkiuSl.jpg

run that wire to rf pin (4)

ED96wOQl.jpg
iKdifvFl.jpg

then you can grab it on the rf board from the same pin (4).

r3OjT0dm.jpg
08MfNPTm.jpg
ZRRnGzvl.jpg

you can then remove some of the pcb coating on the rf board and add some solder to it. attach an smd leds cathode(-) to it, then simply run a wire from pin (4) to the anode(+) side.

Now you can go ahead and attach your nand read/write cable and write your nands however you see fit. Most like to write the stock image to the 360's nand and the xebuild to the addons nand chip.

7LD9ZBgl.jpg

The Viper defaults to the xbox 360's nand first when plugging the power supply in. Push the sync button and the debug will flash twice indicating you are now on the Vipers nand.

I have a few of these chips now but will have many more here in the next few weeks. If interested in purchasing any just shoot me a pm. $18 ea. or $15 a piece if buying more than one.

Last edited:
Element18592

Element18592

Trusted Seller
Frame In Gold Stickied Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Glad someone finally made a proper written guide. When I get a little extra time, I'll add a link to this tutorial from the Vipers official page.

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
plenty of Viper dna chips available. pm me if interested

Viper chip...................$14 (ea)
Two chips ..................$25

Viper chip plus AceV3......$20

C2tM3URm.jpg

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure . The shipping would be outrageous for me to ship there

X

XXmodded

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for taking the time to post this, the videos, and your offer on boards!

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Well u would have to run the wiring yourself because the layout is different.

Tgivenchy

Tgivenchy

Reaction score
Sin$

Is there any pics out there for a Corona Viper Dual NAND install

I know I would need a QSB which I already have but like you said the layout is different.. would definitely like to try this on a Corona

BlueSn00w

BlueSn00w

RGH/JTAG Seller
Reaction score
Sin$
Is there any pics out there for a Corona Viper Dual NAND install

I know I would need a QSB which I already have but like you said the layout is different.. would definitely like to try this on a Corona
A addon board is coming soon for corona and phats for the viper.

T

texasrex

Reaction score
Sin$
i followed Mr Marios guide and used this guide as backup, my xbox only seems to boot into xell even when i press the power button. does it have to do with the timing file? im kind of lost hahah ive been looking for a guide on this matter using the viper chip but no such luck, any help would be appreciated. also, sorry if i posted in the wrong thread, wasnt sure where to post. Thank you.

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Well if u don't have one of the dual nand srgh(v2) timings on the ace it won't switch nands . What timing did u flash?

T

texasrex

Reaction score
Sin$
I got my dual nand chip from the weekend modder site and got it already programmed but when the file on it didnt allow me to switch between them I flashed the 50_1 file from the best settings folder. but still wouldnt boot into the dashboard it only boots into Xell

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
With the console off u hit the sync button and should notice the aces green debug led flash either once or twice. Then u have to write stick nand to the first default nand (one blink) And rgh to second nand (viper ) 2 blinks

So for starters are u seeing the debug flash with the sync button ?

T

texasrex

Reaction score
Sin$
yes, i am able to switch between nands when i hold down the sync button. i havent written anything to the viper nand yet but shouldnt the ace v3 boot into dashboard once i write ecc? or does something need to be written into both nands before i can boot into dashboard?

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
after booting xell you need to get the cpu key and create the rgh 2 image and write it to one of the nands! (most put stock back on xbox and the rgh image on viper or other dual nand board)

T

texasrex

Reaction score
Sin$
omg, im a total noob! ok so i need to create an RGH2 image. im looking at the mr mario tut and at 9:38 he mentions it updated from 17502 to 17511 mine is showing it backwards, shows it went from 17511 to 17502. is this also something im doing wrong? my xbox was already originally on 17511. thank you so much!

Newsk

Newsk

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
No problem. U need to have the 17511 dash installed in jrunner and select it when u build your image. It's usually best to completely update the console before you start so your stock side matches.

T

texasrex

Reaction score
Sin$
ok awesome got it all worked out its booting both nands. im trying to look for timing files 60.3 and 60.6 since im getting a full minute on load times. anyone know where i can find it? also thanks for all your help i really appreciate it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register