What's new

Solved Videos Showing As Images Or Not Showing At All In Threads

B

Ben aka

ColeHarrison
Reaction score
Problem:
Occasionally videos within threads and comments displaying as an image or not displaying at all.

Reason:
Flash player is a legacy standard of displaying some videos amongst other things.

After an update in Google Chrome and with the other browsers following suit,
Flash player is now set to block/disallow all as the default setting.

Replication:
Locate an active thread which has a video.
If you are able to interact with the item by hovering over it with your mouse cursor, a Play button should appear.

Scroll your Browsers page so this or any other video is not in current view.
Click on refresh browser or press F5 (Sometimes this has to be done more than once.)

Now when you attempt to interact with the video,
hovering your mouse cursor over it will not show the play button.

Rectification:

If this has started to become more of an issue for you, I have three options that should help you.

Right click within the actual post of the thread which contains the video and select reload.

Click the padlock or (i) to the left side of your browsers address bar and then if you see Flash, click the dropdown box and select Allow.
*If you cannot see Flash select Site Settings. Then scroll down until you see Flash and select allow from the dropdown box.
Save any work and then close and restart your browser.

Note: The above changes the settings only for Se7ensins. You will have to do this for each site that you need to,
or change global settings in the next option.

Click the three dots on the upper right side of your browser.
Go down to Settings then Advanced Settings
Select Privacy and Security.
Next select Site Settings and scroll down until you see Flash, select allow.
Save any work and then close and restart your browser.

G

Gardzz

Hollywood's Bleeding
Retired
Reaction score
se7ensins.com/forums/threads/videos-showing-as-pictures.1784154/#post-14087233

E

EyeDuDab

Banned
Reaction score
it is not actually a "bug" its an after effect of the Google vs Adobe power struggle
I see your point, but maybe add tutorial tag too. And also bypass tag, maybe we can get it stikied as a working workaround :thumbsup:

It is a major issue affecting 7sins, and thank you.

Fyi, desktop view usually always works on android devices as a bypass. And since i upgraded to the samsung a50, it doesnt happen as often.

Maybe we can bring this to discussion instead of bugs

B

Ben aka

ColeHarrison
Reaction score
desktop view
switching from desktop to mobile view, would essentially have same outcome as Right-click >reload i assume.
Also, thank-you your input is greatly appreciated

E

EyeDuDab

Banned
Reaction score
switching from desktop to mobile view, would essentially have same outcome as Right-click >reload i assume.
Also, thank-you your input is greatly appreciated
Not neccesarily, I've attempted the standard refresh technique without luck, but using desktop view seems to work every time.

With that being said, i have issues on my windows 10 laptop (a desktop box :banghead::facepalm::what:)

The recent drop of legacy support in chromes newest versions would explain a bit... thanks for bringing it up, i completely overlooked the recent removal of flash

Also, no prob. :wink:
I just want it figured out lol, so I'll give as much info as i have :thumbsup:

Last edited:
B

Ben aka

ColeHarrison
Reaction score
Normal reload - F5 or clicking the refresh button next to address bar.
Will generally use the cache but revalidate everything during page load. Basically looking for "304 Not Modified" responses trying to avoid re-downloading cached JavaScript files, images, text files, and only downloading the data that has been altered. Making browsers more "responsive"
Hard reload - holding Shift and pressing F5 (similar to clearing cookies/cache etc, but only on the current domain)
Will not use anything in the cache when making the request which inturn forces the browser to re-download every JavaScript file, image, text file, which then, on most occasions will turn the image back into the video that was intended.

E

EyeDuDab

Banned
Reaction score
Normal reload - F5 or clicking the refresh button next to address bar.
Will generally use the cache but revalidate everything during page load. Basically looking for "304 Not Modified" responses trying to avoid re-downloading cached JavaScript files, images, text files, and only downloading the data that has been altered. Making browsers more "responsive"
Hard reload - holding Shift and pressing F5 (similar to clearing cookies/cache etc, but only on the current domain)
Will not use anything in the cache when making the request which inturn forces the browser to re-download every JavaScript file, image, text file, which then, on most occasions will turn the image back into the video that was intended.
Great info, however personally, i have mine setup to not load from cache, but to check for new versions each refresh (extensions)

I'll look more into my settings for comparison to the issue as well.

Can we please get this labled as discussion? We need to keep this open to resolve the issue in its entirety (i requested the discussion tag and also it to be stickied)

Top Bottom