video card question

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by Antihero9566, Jun 28, 2009 with 3 replies and 188 views.

1. Antihero9566

Antihero9566 Newbie

Ratings:
    i have a sparkle geforce 9600GT that i havent opened yet. it says it requires a 6 pin supplementary power. does it mean on the motherboard or on the card itself. like does it have a place to plug it in on the card

2. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Re: video car question

It means there is a 6-pin connector on the card itself, and if you wish to use the card to it's full potential, you'll need to plug a cable into it from the PSU.

• Like Like x 1
  3. theroach

theroach Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Wow....Alright. If you honestly do not understand what it needs for power you need to read up on your computers a little more.

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

This site has a nice picture of a 6 pin connector for your video card. Make sure your POWER SUPPLY has that plug free to use. Then look up your power supply to see what kind of power it makes. Make sure it has enough power to use your new video card. You will want to be about 50 watts over what they suggest for minimum. I say that because of your knowledge I doubt you plan on clocking or anything.

4. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    50 watts over? Why would that be? The minimum power requirement is usually fairly suitable, hell I've ran cards 50-100 watts UNDER the minimum.