What's new

Valve's Source Engine 2, And is it coming to Xbox one?

• Thread starter Hitman1337
  • Start date
  • Views 1,164
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hitman1337

Hitman1337

Skyline R34
Services Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
source_2_logo_mockup.jpg

It's been ten years since developer Valve launched its Source game engine with Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2. For years there have been rumors about Valve working on there next engine, which is now confirmed. Today, an update to the Dota 2's map editor and modding tools provide the most definitive evidence of the engine's existence. Further, the changes indicate that Valve may have actually launched the engine today by moving the editor's assets and code over to Source 2, There is also some gameplay and a way to play Dota 2 on the source 2 engine, I have provided a video below. I took the time to do this myself and switched between Dota on both Source 1, and 2. Surprisingly, Dota loads faster than before.​

Posts on sites such as Reddit, and NeoGAF, Users have compiled the evidence found in the game's files, and general consensus is that the engine is real. According to Reddit user the most obvious evidence is the huge redesign of Valve's Hammer map editor. The interface and performance have been overhauled, and now you can choose between two map files: a ".vmap" file, and a "Source 1.0 Map (.vmf)" file, and also everything in the files that share the same name with files from Source 1 engine are labeled with a 2.

Here is where things get interesting, and shows some proof that we might see some type of source game on Xbox one, There are new lines of code relating to Xbox development.
Examples of the code found: "game/dota_imported/resource/ui/xboxdialogs.res@2166751." Looking at this I really don't think it means Dota 2 is coming to the one, But might be a place holder for other code that might be used for future xbox development.

Leave your comments below if you think this is a big step for valve and there games?
Are you excited to see what they might bring to the Xbox one?

Source
Youtube Video

Last edited:
TheDivineZombie

TheDivineZombie

▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲
Greeter Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Tons of people have been enjoying the games that used Valve's Source Engine. There have been many games that utilize source engine, such as Half Life, Counter Strike, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 just to name a few well know ones that are still enjoyed to this day. I definitely think it is a step in the right direction for Valve to up their possibilities with a Source Engine 2. I am very excited to see what games come out and especially what modders are capable of doing with those games.

Hitman1337

Hitman1337

Skyline R34
Services Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Tons of people have been enjoying the games that used Valve's Source Engine. There have been many games that utilize source engine, such as Half Life, Counter Strike, Portal, and Team Fortress 2 just to name a few well know ones that are still enjoyed to this day. I definitely think it is a step in the right direction for Valve to up their possibilities with a Source Engine 2. I am very excited to see what games come out and especially what modders are capable of doing with those games.
Totally agree, I hope that since Dota was able to be played on source 2 that maybe someone will port CSS or half life 2 to it for the time being.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the sumission, Hitman1337 Hitman1337 . I won't be promoting this at the time being, please refer to the Private Message I'm about to send you.

WinnersAlwaysWin

WinnersAlwaysWin

✰Im Fadddeeedd yooo✰
Reaction score
Sin$
nub mode activated. "OMFG HL:3 CONFIRMED! NEEEXXXTT GEEENNN"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register