What's new

Valve: No Source Engine 2 Just Updates to the Original

Tankzz

Tankzz

"Innocent Fluffy Bunny Rabbit Killer"
Retired
Reaction score
Valve-Source-SDK.jpg

Valve has been quiet in regards to an update to their aging Source Engine. The system that first powered Half Life 2 back in 2004, and has since powered many other games included Left 4 Dead and Portal, has been tweaked and updated many times since its introduction. Understandably, that’s left many fans eager to see what Valve may have waiting up their sleeve with their next engine that, it turns out, may never materialize.

Chet Faliszek, Writer at Valve, has revealed that the team probably won’t ever release a true sequel to the Source Engine, telling Gaminglives: “We just update it, not just replace it,” he said. At “some point we may say there’s Source 2 or whatever, but really for us it’s been pretty easy to keep it and understand the tools.”
Source

Seems valve believes that enhancing gameplay is better than making it look new and shiny. Honestly, I am fine with this as Valve's source engine, is truly, the best optimized engine out there for pc. They have done a magnificent job on it and there is no reason to complicate things at this time.

That being said...

Where is Episode 3?!?!?!?!?!

XoX

XoX

Getting There
Reaction score
I'm fine with the source engine the way it is right now.

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
I think the majority of the people that use it like it the way it is. The only "difference" I could see is to make some of their games with better graphics, but the gameplay is so solid from their engine.

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Mythical Veteran Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Valve's Source Engine is by far the best Engine out there. I'd take gameplay over graphics anyday.

R

RobertJP

Reaction score
I'm sure it will get a proper graphics update once the limitations of the engine are met. Give it a couple years probably around the time of the new consoles.

Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Valve's games still look great, so I really don't care. Something I've always loved about Source is that it's just clean. There are no Michael Bay-like flares (I'm looking at you Cryengine 3 and Frostbite), motion blur, and other unnecessary stuff. Even in L4D and HL, when there are grungy and decrepit scenes, it still looks very clean and well done.

Plus, CS:GO still looks great, and the new grenade explosion seems very satisfying.