• Start date
  • Views 24,058
xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey there 7s!
Im sure you have seen a metric **** ton of posts with people asking what a jtag does and if "i can h0st ub3r l00by h4x". I have answered prolly se7en posts today reguarding this. It seems that people dont really know how to use google, so for you n00bs out there, this tutorial is for you.

NOTE: This is not meant for the advanced users as some of it is more than likely wrong as im trying the best i can to put it into n00b terms.

What is a JTAG?
Well, a jtag is something that was never really intended for the xbox. It is used on other applications like routers and modems, simply as a way to debug their software. Some bright guy got the idea to port it to the xbox for exploitation purposes. I believe this person was actually a microsoft employee but dont quote me on this. The JTAG hack allowed consoles on the dashboard version 7371 or lower to run unsigned code. This hack really took off during the mw2 days of hosting lobbies and i believe was posted by jester. Im sure everyone knows that name.

Requirements to JTAG?
The problem with the JTAG hack is that it requires you to be on one of the early dashboards. The JTAG hack requires the following:
Without breaking your brain im going to try to explain to you the best i can of how the JTAG hack works in simplistic short version.
The original exploit was called the King Kong exploit or "kk". This exploited the kernel by modifying an unsigned shader to do some memory exports. the exploit basically modifies the bootup sequence to run XeLL, and xenon linux loader, and thus running unsigned code.

What is a RGH?
The RGH, or Reset Glitch Hack, is essentially the same as a JTAG hack. The only difference is how the exploitation is accomplished. The outcome is still the same, running unsigned code. It was first introduced by GliGli, Tiros, c0z, and other devs and was later made famous by Team-Xecuter for cleaning up the circuit and making it better(or at least it was IMHO) The RGH operates off the premise of sending a tiny reset pulse to the processor in order to change the way code is run. The biggest thing to note with the RGH is that it is a "glitch" and thus cant be replicated the same way all the time, this is why some people have problems. Things such as interference, soldering quality, and lenght of wire being used can play huge roles in the quality and timing of the glitch. This is why you will see people telling you to have a professional install it as if you f*** up, your xbox is toast.

What are the requirements to RGH an xbox?
The requirements are a bit less stringent to exploit with the RGH method as they can be done on most all dashboard revisions, some utilizing different wiring methods such as the TX RGH v2 for higher dashboard revisions. You need some sort of glitch chip, most prefer the reliability of the Xecuter Coolrunner chip, as it is the most reliable and well sought after chip on the market. You ask all of the top end modders what they use to glitch their xbox's, they will say the coolrunner. The following are required to RGH an xbox:
  • A glitch chip - preferebly the Xecuter Coolrunner
  • Excellent soldering skills
  • Patience and a brain
So whats the difference between a RGH and a JTAG anyway?
As stated above, the only difference is how the exploitation is accomplished. They both run unsigned code and both allow you to run xexmenu, freestyle dash, hombrew, etc. The JTAG relies on exploiting the older dashboard revisions. The RGH attacks most all dashboard revisions, including the most recent 16xxx revision utilizing the Xecuter DGX addon.

Can you go online with a JTAG/RGH?
Sure, if you know how to bypass the challenge responses from xbox live. You can also pay Xbox Live Stealth to use their server to go online with your rgh. Is it worth it? IMO absolutely not. You will end up paying an arm and a leg to get online, and more than likely not ever earn your money back by "hosting lobbies" or whatever you kids seem to do these days.

Can you host MW2/MW3/BO/BO2 lobbies on a JTAG/RGH?
Once again, sure, if you know how to exploit the game. Most users on 7s will never know how to and i doubt anyone who does know how to will post a tutorial as when a tutorial was posted on how to exploit MW2 it got out of hand and now, all you can find is hacked matches, which isnt really fun.

Since my console is a JTAG/RGH, can i play pirated games?
In short, no you cannot. In order to do this you need to flash your dvd drive which can be accomplished by following the countless other tutorials available on 7s, including my own. Just because your xbox is exploited does not mean you can play burned games on it. You CAN extract the contents of the ISO to a folder and run the default.xex on your machine though.

What other uses are there for a JTAG/RGH that doesnt include ruining xbox live by modding MW2?
This is the question of the century, and i wish it was asked more by the users on 7s. With a RGH your can do soooooooooooooo much. Heres a short list of what can be accomplished by using a RGH or JTAG:
  • Developing homebrew games
  • Installing xbox 360 games onto hard drive and never needing the disc again
  • Memory editing
  • Development kit functions
  • Programming for the console
  • Run pretty much any sort of unsigned code
  • Free DLC and Arcade games
  • Run custom dashboards and kernels
  • Use larger hard drives
  • Emulators
As you can see, a exploited console can do sooooooooo much more than just "h0st 1337 l0bby h4x". You can pretty much do anything you want with the console. Want a different color avatar that isnt readily available? theres options for that. Want to rent games, install them to the hard drive and never need the disc again? you can do it. Want to use unfathomably large hard drive to store movies or games on? you are able to. The possiblities are endless with an exploited console.

I hope this covers pretty much anything and everything that you might need to know about the RGH and JTAG hack. If i missed anything let me know and il add it.

**********NOTICES***************
I DO NOT IN ANY WAY CONDONE MODIFYING COPYRIGHTED CODE OR PIRACY! DOING SO IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Last edited:
Sex

Sex

Jerry4Ad‮nim
Seasoned Veteran Grammar Nazi End of the Year 2014
Reaction score
Sin$
Some of your information is wrong. You can play pirated games with a jtag/rgh without flashing the drive. All you have to do is use a program to extract the game to your USB/hard drive, then run the xex in xex menu.

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Some of your information is wrong. You can play pirated games with a jtag/rgh without flashing the drive. All you have to do is use a program to extract the game to your USB/hard drive, then run the xex in xex menu.
if you read the top, it will explain that im putting this in n00b terms. I didnt really want to go deeply into things like that. I can however add it in shorter terms.

Sex

Sex

Jerry4Ad‮nim
Seasoned Veteran Grammar Nazi End of the Year 2014
Reaction score
Sin$
if you read the top, it will explain that im putting this in n00b terms. I didnt really want to go deeply into things like that. I can however add it in shorter terms.
Ok? I really don't understand how that is so hard to do. Why post the question if you don't want to go into depth about it? Instead you could have just not talked about it.

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok? I really don't understand how that is so hard to do. Why post the question if you don't want to go into depth about it? Instead you could have just not talked about it.
tbh, i really didnt think of it. i knew you could do it, it just blew past me. lol. i do thank you for letting me know though.

iBruce

iBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If I may ask how is it possible to get extended memory?
From what i seen on YouTube a kid had about 2TB of space... haha
I dont need that much but it would be nice to have enough to download some of these games.

tbh, i really didnt think of it. i knew you could do it, it just blew past me. lol. i do thank you for letting me know though.

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
If I may ask how is it possible to get extended memory?
From what i seen on YouTube a kid had about 2TB of space... haha
I dont need that much but it would be nice to have enough to download some of these games.
with jtag/rgh'es it is possible to use external harddrives to rip games through xexmenu, fsd, etc...you can format these drives to fat32 to take full advantage of the available space.

iBruce

iBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
xMODDEDxSKILLZx

xMODDEDxSKILLZx

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
i cant go to ebay right now as im at work, but if its an external hard drive then it shouldnt be a problem. its not going to be able to be formated as an "official microsoft hard drive", but you can format it to fat32 then use xexmenu, fsd, etc...to rip that games to. i have a 1tb hdd that i use. my xbox doesnt detect it for gamesaves and what not on the stock dash, but xexmenu does detect the games that are installed.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
iBruce

iBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Aight man thanks.. Lol
Sorry i had to dumb it down for you a little bit.. Haha

Ant1m4ss

Ant1m4ss

Reaction score
Sin$
Is there anyway to do it without ****ing around with the motherboard. Like messing around in the mother board to do this stuff isnt hard because essentailly an xbox is a computer. But I dont want to risk frying the wire just so I can play a ****ing mario game or zelda. any advice

ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
Is there anyway to do it without ****ing around with the motherboard. Like messing around in the mother board to do this stuff isnt hard because essentailly an xbox is a computer. But I dont want to risk frying the wire just so I can play a ****ing mario game or zelda. any advice
You wont get around messing with the motherboard. Sorry.

Top Bottom
Login
Register