What's new

Solved Upgrading to Windows 7 Questions

Ares

Ares

Just a Small Town Girl Livin' in a Lonely World
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, so right now, I have Windows Vista and my C: Drive has 161 GB of data/stuff on it. Now, I have the CD for Windows 7 Ultimate, which I plan to install (durr). When I install it onto my computer from the BIOS/boot menu, what will happen? Will it overwrite my OS and keep my files? Will my whole C: Drive be cleared of my data? Will I have to make a new partition like I did with Ubuntu? What's the best way to upgrade to Windows 7 and keep all of my files? Could somebody please help me out? Btw, I have a 250 GB HDD, but the Ubuntu partition takes up 10 GB of that, and Windows Vista OS Takes up 18 GB I think. Also, I plan on deleting my Ubuntu partition, as I have no use for it whatsoever. Also, here's the catch... I used a Premium tutorial to obtain this Windows 7, and the Loader/serials. I trust that it will work, but if it doesn't, is all my data lost forever? Thanks in advance, I really need some assistance
blink.gif

Operating System
  1. Windows
-Leo-

-Leo-

Contributor
Grammar Nazi Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah Windows 7 will erase everything and it will just put on windows 7 with nothing left. Just back it up onto and external hard drive and your all good. :wink: whenever you upgrade, most likely going to erase everything. :biggrin:

King David

King David

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
what you should do is put in the disk while being on your desktop and it will give you a option to install while keeping files.

Ares

Ares

Just a Small Town Girl Livin' in a Lonely World
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah Windows 7 will erase everything and it will just put on windows 7 with nothing left. Just back it up onto and external hard drive and your all good. :wink: whenever you upgrade, most likely going to erase everything. :biggrin:
Yeah, there's a lot of crap on my computer I don't need lol. I think I'll just upload some stuff to some online storage (ADrive) like Cinema 4D Stuff, Documents, Movies, pics. It's a bummer that I'll have to install Cinema 4D cracked again
dry.gif
My premium runs out tomorrow, so I might have to go premium again just for that lol. Do you think if I copy my entire "MAXON" Program Files folder onto my newly cleared drive it will let my use it, or will I have to use serials and stuff again?

what you should do is put in the disk while being on your desktop and it will give you a option to install while keeping files.

All I see in Autoplay is an "Open Folder to View Files" with Windows Explorer thing, and the .ISO is in there if I open it as a .rar, there's a LOT of system stuff in there...

Alright, goin' over to Windows 7. See y'all on the other side
smile.gif

Hopefully
unsure.gif

Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
It should transfer most of it to a "Windows.old" folder, if you have the space. I'd still advise backing it up on an external hard drive or in the cloud, though.

K

knockem

Contributor
Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
All I see in Autoplay is an "Open Folder to View Files" with Windows Explorer thing, and the .ISO is in there if I open it as a .rar, there's a LOT of system stuff in there...

You may have burnt that incorrectly..
If it is an upgrade version of Windows 7 your files will stay intact..
If its the full version then you will have the option to reformat your drive (that will erase everything)

Top Bottom
Login
Register