Upgrading from basic to ultimate?

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Phenomenal, Jan 4, 2009 with 3 replies and 106 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conquer

Conquer Member

Ratings:
    Ok so i posted something simular to this in the vista section but didnt detail it, and i think i shoulda posted it in here since this is the help section so here goes.

Ok i currently have windows vista basic, and i have just burned a disc with windows vista ultimate, when i put the disc in and run the setup it brings me to a page where there is two options one of those options is install clean version of windows and the other is upgrade but the upgrade is greyed out and i cant click it, and at the bottom there is a little message saying "Upgrade is disabled, to upgrade cancel the installation and click on upgrade" but im not exactly sure where its talking about, anybody know exactly what i need to do in order to upgrade to ulitmate?? do i need to install a clean version of windows before i can upgrade or what?? please help somebody :frown:

Picture of the screen im talking about :smile:
    [​IMG]

2. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    You need to install a clean version of windows on your computer, you can't upgrade Vista to itself, which is why update is disabled

3. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I posted this same thing in your other thread...

I think you'd need an anytime upgrade disc in order to do this.

[Click here to view the link]

Your other option would be to back up all your stuff that you want to keep and then just install a clean copy.

4. OP
    Conquer

Conquer Member

Ratings:
    i have an anytime upgrade disc, i get the same message when trying to use that also, and yes you can upgrade vista to vista but its like $199 for the disc but i have the disc but now im stuck cause i dont know what to do from there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.