What's new

Solved Upgrade & Transfer from 250GB to 500GB HDD

O

Ozzt

Reaction score
Hi! After RGH'ing my Xbox 360 slim and filling the original 250GB HDD to the rim with games and DLC's I managed to get my hand on a 500GB HDD (from a 360 Slim E).

The question then is how do I transfer/clone all the files from the 250GB to the 500GB one? I've read about using the official 360 transfer cable, but that isnt available in my country, and overseas shipping is a b*tch during the pandemic...

Would a standard sata to usb adapter work the same? Or is there anything special within the official adapter?

I can get my hands on one of theese today:
SATA_to_USB-8.jpg

I also see that the HDD has a 4-pin power connector, but even the original transfer cable doesnt have a connector for that one, so will something like the one in the picture work?

T

Teb

Pro Doucher
Super Moderators
Reaction score
You can take the HDD and plug it into your PC as an external, then transfer the files you want. Or you can simply transfer all your files to your pc then to your console through neighborhood or a flash drive.

O

Ozzt

Reaction score
I got an universal sata cable like the one in the image I posted. Turns out the original microsoft transfer cable probably has some kind of software on it(?) as I had to download FatXplorer to browse and extract the content from my HDD to my PC, and the first time I did it the files got corrupted, so I had to do it all over again (which takes some time with 200GB+).

I managed to transfer it over to the new one after some trial and error, but I had to install the avatar update on the xbox again, and do the HDDX partion stuff (backwards compatibility). For anyone else trying to do this, just buy the original xbox transfer cable and save yourself the hassle.

T

Teb

Pro Doucher
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out.

Top Bottom