What's new

Upgrade my current PC? or buy a new one?

Decy

Decy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
So i've had my current PC for a few years now and its really lacking and i have £500 to either upgrade parts or Buy a whole new PC but i'm not sure what to do.

My current Specs
APU: AMD A8-6600K
RAM: 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3
MB: MSI FM2-A55M-E33
HDD: 465GB Western Digital

Its pretty basic at the moment.
So what should i do?

ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
Well in any case you're generally not going to want to buy a prebuilt PC (unless it's second hand).
And since your specs are looking like that, upgrading your PC pretty much means upgrading everything. You can keep the HDD and possibly the case and the PSU (you didn't list them, so can't really say for sure).
Or it could be a good idea to try to sell that whole thing as a package. Could be easier to sell it as a package rather than in parts.
And then use the money you get towards new parts for a new PC.

Last edited:
Decy

Decy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Well in any case you're generally not going to want to buy a prebuilt PC (unless it's second hand).
And since your specs are looking like that, upgrading your new PC pretty much means upgrading everything. You can keep the HDD and possibly the case and the PSU (you didn't list them, so can't really say for sure).
Or it could be a good idea to try to sell that whole thing as a package. Could be easier to sell it as a package rather than in parts.
And then use the money you get towards new parts for a new PC.
The case is:
CiT Vantage Midi Mesh Gaming Case

The PSU will most likely need upgraded as its not the best. (I'm not sure what the name of it is)

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Watch LinusTechTips scrapyardwars. They build gaming pc's for $500.
While it's a great series, I think it's not the best recommendation. They build some good PCs but often times they're getting crazy good deals on used parts, sometimes using their YouTube fame to strike even better deals *cough* *cough* Linus. Just my 2 cents :wink:

VinnyHaw

VinnyHaw

Se7enSinner
Mythical Veteran Trifecta End of the Year 2015
Reaction score
Sin$
While it's a great series, I think it's not the best recommendation. They build some good PCs but often times they're getting crazy good deals on used parts, sometimes using their YouTube fame to strike even better deals *cough* *cough* Linus. Just my 2 cents :wink:

That's against the rules. Last season it kind of went out of hand, but every other season has been pretty good in regards to no cheating.

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So i've had my current PC for a few years now and its really lacking and i have £500 to either upgrade parts or Buy a whole new PC but i'm not sure what to do.

My current Specs

So what should i do?
Well, like others have said, consider selling your current system and combining the profit of the old system and the £500.
Just make sure to back up your files and preferably, take your old HDD with you so no one can go back and retrieve your old files with software like Recuva. You can buy a fast SSD for the OS and commonly-used programs like your browser. Then just use your old HDD as a secondary sort of "media" drive with music, movies, pictures, and some more programs.
From the provided specs, I can assume your system might be just a tad sluggish sometimes, especially with the HDD as the main drive. If you cannot build it yourself, look into custom prebuilt systems, just make sure the cost of the whole PC isn't so much more than if you built the same system yourself. (Add up the prices of all the parts and see if you can save just a bit of money or a considerable amount of money) Also, watch out for some systems, they might look good with LEDs and whatnot but might be horrible in terms of price to performance. I've also seen some custom prebuilt systems that have pretty bad power supplies so keep an eye out and do your research.
In the end, do your research well and you will have a better system than if you try to rush and get one as fast as possible.

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's against the rules. Last season it kind of went out of hand, but every other season has been pretty good in regards to no cheating.
Yeah, it seems so, that last season really had mixed opinions, some thought Paul and Kyle cheated with their HDD problem and some say Linus did the cheating, I forgot how Linus cheated, I think it was with YouTube fame possibly allowing him to get a couple parts for free or cheaper, not too sure. It was a toss up. With that kind of cheating, who knows what's next. Scrapyard wars using only YouTube fame?

Decy

Decy

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not looking for 4k and over 100fps or anything. Mostly 1080p 60 and i do like to play alot of older games like CS:GO, Mw2 & Left 4 Dead 2 which i know isn't too demanding. i did a little research and found a system for £500 (well a little over) i'm not sure if i can link it here so i'll just put the specs.

I looked up the specs on youtube to see the performance on games such as GTA V, Rocket League, Fallout 4 ect and they all seemed to run pretty fine.

the specs:
CPU: I5-2400 (Pretty old from what i've heard but still holds up)
GPU: GTX 1050ti 4GB OC Edition
HDD: 1TB 7.2K Sata 3.5” Hard Drive
RAM: 16GB (DDR4 Depending on the Generation)
Motherboard: (Doesn't state which one exactly as it depends on what they have in stock when you order but is Tier 1 and either Intel/Dell/HP/Lenovo Branded)
PSU: (States they use brand new sealed 500W PSU's not sure on anything else most likely a sh!t7y 500w but who knows)

From what i've seen from youtube it seems to run games well and majority on ultra (doesn't really matter with me)
Just want to see peoples opinions on it and to see if my researching has gotten me anywhere.

GOLDEN HDx

GOLDEN HDx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not looking for 4k and over 100fps or anything. Mostly 1080p 60 and i do like to play alot of older games like CS:GO, Mw2 & Left 4 Dead 2 which i know isn't too demanding. i did a little research and found a system for £500 (well a little over) i'm not sure if i can link it here so i'll just put the specs.

I looked up the specs on youtube to see the performance on games such as GTA V, Rocket League, Fallout 4 ect and they all seemed to run pretty fine.

the specs:
CPU: I5-2400 (Pretty old from what i've heard but still holds up)
GPU: GTX 1050ti 4GB OC Edition
HDD: 1TB 7.2K Sata 3.5” Hard Drive
RAM: 16GB (DDR4 Depending on the Generation)
Motherboard: (Doesn't state which one exactly as it depends on what they have in stock when you order but is Tier 1 and either Intel/Dell/HP/Lenovo Branded)
PSU: (States they use brand new sealed 500W PSU's not sure on anything else most likely a sh!t7y 500w but who knows)

From what i've seen from youtube it seems to run games well and majority on ultra (doesn't really matter with me)
Just want to see peoples opinions on it and to see if my researching has gotten me anywhere.
The components seem justified for your needs (I'm not too sure about the 2400 but it should be "decent"). I believe the i5-2400 doesn't support a DDR4-compatible motherboard so you're most likely looking at a DDR3 system.
Also, I suggest seeing the differences between the 1050ti and the 1060 since I remember someone saying the 1060 is better for the price or something along those lines and it's only a little more.
I see your HDD and it's good for storing games but I strongly recommend getting even a 120GB SSD for your OS at least on top of the 1TB HDD. Ideally, the best setup would be an all-SSD system but your budget would probably go up another 100 or more Euros.
Also, I recommend using the site PCPartPicker.com to "build" your own PC and see if everything is compatible and how much the total cost is. I'm not certain whether or not it's compatible with Euro pricing but you can click the link and see.
In the end, don't forget your peripherals (keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor) unless you already have them. Otherwise, you could spend 500 Euros on a system but then have to add a couple hundred more for the monitor and such.
After typing all of this, I actually noticed it's a prebuilt system right?
In that case, look around some more and see what else you can find, 500+ Euros for the system you mentioned, especially the CPU, and generation, seems a bit too much for it. Also try and update us with any links to the videos or links to the systems you find.
You have to be a bit patient with choosing a system because it will stick with you for a while, it isn't something disposable that you'll have for 1 year. Sorry if this was a lot to read.

T

Themudvillekid

Reaction score
Sin$

My current Specs

So what should i do?
I would definitely build your own PC. The money you put into a prebuilt PC can be used to build a PC that runs a lot better.