Tutorial *UPDATED* Viper Dual Nand V2 Corona Install

• Thread starter LegendOfRock69
  • Start date
  • Views 1,697
L

LegendOfRock69

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I had made a install tutorial previously, however I have since updated the "Points" picture and Thanks to the help of Octal450 and TheModShop, I was able to get some better resolution pics of a 16MB Motherboard, as I previously had a 4GB Motherboard (which is not yet supported).

There are 3 types of consoles you can use the Viper V2 with:

1. Trinity - 2 Install methods (A&B), NO Adapter Required.

2. Phat (Jasper, Falcon etc.) - Best Install Method (A), Adapter Required.
NOTE - you can use Type B install, however it is essentially pointless on Phats as all RGH1.2 timing files can recognize the retail Nand and will disable your glitch chip when retail is selected. (Thanks Octal450)

3. Corona - 2 Install Methods (A&B), Adapter Required.
NOTE - Type B Install is for users with 3v3 based glitch chips (Coolrunner Muffin Install, Matrix etc.)

The original Viper was made for Trinity consoles, and it was moderately difficult to install due to having to solder to small resistors on your glitch chip (mainly ACE V3). Thankfully Element revised the original version and released the Viper V2. The V2 takes care of a lot more things so soldering to resistors on your glitch chip is a thing of the past. The only part people may find difficult is soldering the Nand indicator LED, which will be covered.

Things Needed:

1. Viper Dual Nand V2
  2. Corona Adapter
  3. JRP or NAND-X
  4. Soldering Iron, flux etc.
  5. 26awg - 30awg wire (26 for positive and ground, 30 for the rest of the points)
  6. Skills and patience

TheWeekendModder Store is a great place to get some of these items.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting Started:

Disassemble your console down to the bare Motherboard, we will be focusing mostly on the bottom side. First thing is the Adapter.

Here is the area of the adapter:

Corona Adapter Points:

Here is the Corona Adapter Position:

Tape the adapter down to the board in position (be careful not to tape over any points) to anchor it. Then solder all the points in to fully anchor the adapter. Make sure to go over your points as you will be covering the adapter with the Viper chip.

Once all points are soldered and you are happy with them, place your Viper chip over the adapter like so:

Make sure to solder all points in and double check them as you do not want to get your console back together to find out one of your solder joints isn't good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Points to Solder:

---------------------------------------------------
For Type B Install - Connect 5v point, connect Viper "Chip" point to glitch chip VCC (3v3).
Nand Indicator LED:

Once you have all of those points soldered in for whichever install method you choose, the only thing left is your Nand indicator light. BE VERY CAREFUL as the Nand indicator light involves scraping away at the solder mask to essentially create a negative point for you to solder your light to. It is recommended that you get a fiberglass pen to scrape away at the solder mask. However most people might be using a blade of some sort, which is fine but be careful.

On the Slim ROL boards (Ring OF Light), the points differ from the phat consoles ROL boards. It will be easier for you to scrape away at one of the side lights rather than in the middle light (as I recommend the middle light on the phats). Just choose whichever led you want and VERY CAREFULLY scrape away the solder mask over a negative point until you have a decent point to solder your LED to.

Once you have your point scraped, apply flux, tin and solder the negative end of your LED onto that point CAREFULLY.

Once your light is soldered into your point, be careful as is might be a fragile solder joint (which is to be expected). Now we can solder a wire to the postive point on the LED and run it to the following pin on the ROL Board:

(Thanks to Octal450 for bringing this to my attention as I was just running a wire from the ROL straight to the LED point on the Viper).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now your done. Plug the console in (do not turn it on yet) and hold in the sync button. If everything worked out and your soldering is good, then you should see your nand indicator LED flash either once or twice to indicate which nand it is on.

You can now solder your Nand wires in, hold the sync button until you switch the the Viper V2 Nand and write your Hacked image to the Vipers Nand. Then switch back to your consoles Nand and write your retail image to it.

Boom your done, now with the way its set up, if you want to revert your console back to retail, all you have to do is remove all chips.

Big thanks to TheModShop for providing is with the Viper, Viper V2, and the adapters. Thanks to TheWeekendModder for being a reseller of these chips to the North American region. Thanks to Octal450 for pointing out the RF passthrough.

Last edited:
L

loady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done legend !, good to have something solid in black and white

L

LegendOfRock69

Reaction score
Thanks Loady, much appreciated !

Y

Yusukez

Reaction score
Hi,
Need your help on Viper Nand V2.
From the diagram, it shows that J1 need to be bridged, so I suppose I am to connect both point (short circuit) using solder?
Also, if I am doing a Trinity, what LED do you recommend to be used for debugging? The 0306 are kind of small so I am looking at LED that might be slight "larger" like those in youtube videos. Do you know the model of those LED?

Thank you.

L

LegendOfRock69

Reaction score
Hi,
Need your help on Viper Nand V2.
From the diagram, it shows that J1 need to be bridged, so I suppose I am to connect both point (short circuit) using solder?
Also, if I am doing a Trinity, what LED do you recommend to be used for debugging? The 0306 are kind of small so I am looking at LED that might be slight "larger" like those in youtube videos. Do you know the model of those LED?

Thank you.
You can short the J1 jumper with either solder, or even a very small piece of wire if you are having a hard time with just solder.

As for the LED, I cant really recommend you use a different size LED just in case the signal from the chip is not enough to light it.

I personally use 0603 LEDs and am successful if careful, however you could try something bigger to see if it works the same.

Edit: If you are installing on a trinity, look for the official install guide as mine cover coronas and phats

Y

Yusukez

Reaction score
You can short the J1 jumper with either solder, or even a very small piece of wire if you are having a hard time with just solder.

As for the LED, I cant really recommend you use a different size LED just in case the signal from the chip is not enough to light it.

I personally use 0603 LEDs and am successful if careful, however you could try something bigger to see if it works the same.

Edit: If you are installing on a trinity, look for the official install guide as mine cover coronas and phats
Thank you. I guess I will have to test out some larger LED (see if Viper has enough power to light it) as I doubt I can work with 0603 LED (it is just too small for me).

Top Bottom