What's new

Question unteathered and tethered?

P

pate10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hey guys im kinda new to the whole jailbreaking stuff. i just got an iphone 4s and currently have the ios 5.1. i understand there is no jailbreak out right now for the 5.1, but i was just wondering what does tethered and unteathered mean?

Operating System
  1. iOS
The 7th Psycho

The 7th Psycho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
hey guys im kinda new to the whole jailbreaking stuff. i just got an iphone 4s and currently have the ios 5.1. i understand there is no jailbreak out right now for the 5.1, but i was just wondering what does tethered and unteathered mean?
Tethered is a jailbreak where if you booth or turn off your iphone you wll have to go to Redsn0w and in extras click on Just booth Tethered so your iPhone booths and then you can use it as normal (if you dont want to do this every single time install semitether from the BigBoss repo and you can turned it off and on but you can´t open cydia apps or games downloaded form installous)

And the Untethered jailbreak you can turn it off and on the times you want without connecting it to your computer or downloading semitether.

T

tBarberr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My 3GS is jailbroken and unlocked on iOS 5.1 untethered :biggrin:

But for the 5.1 4S, there is a jailbreak, but its tethered. If anything you should wait til theres an untethered jailbreak available.

Jeru

Jeru

Money over everything
Reaction score
Sin$
tethered: dont turn off, or let the battery drain all the way

My 3GS is jailbroken and unlocked on iOS 5.1 untethered :biggrin:

But for the 5.1 4S, there is a jailbreak, but its tethered. If anything you should wait til theres an untethered jailbreak available.
There may not be a untethered jailbreak right away, they usually do not have an ETA so I say go for it, I always do no matter what. But if you are doing things in cydia like downloading tweaks, keep a pc nearby in case it reboots.

Josef Stalin

Josef Stalin

Retired
Retired
MotM Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
Tethered - to turn it on you need to connect it to computer and use redsn0w to boot tethered

Semi tethered- With the use of this cydia tweak, one can transform a tethered jailbreak into a semi-tethered jailbreak. This means that you can turn your iDevice on and off but once you turn it off you will not be able to use any features acquired via jailbreaking

Untethered-can turn device on and off with full functionality

Top Bottom
Login
Register