UNIX

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by ThaPunisher, Nov 22, 2008 with 13 replies and 329 views.

1. ThaPunisher

ThaPunisher Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Does anybody have an opinion on which UNIX version is the best?
    Im trying to get my hands dirty with UNIX and dont know which one i should start at.

2. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Why UNIX, first, out of curiosity?

3. OP
    ThaPunisher

ThaPunisher Enthusiast

Ratings:
    just want to get some expierence with it, ive heard there can be a lot more stuff achieved on UNIX than other OSs

4. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    Not really. UNIX-like operating systems are used a lot in businesses and such now, but I don't personally know of anyone who uses UNIX itself. UNIX is kind of outdated.

Try a distribution of Linux instead. It's an operating system based off of UNIX, except a lot more useful now-a-days. Simple distributions include Debian and Ubuntu and the like, where as there are more complicated distributions like Slackware.

5. OP
    ThaPunisher

ThaPunisher Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Once again I want UNIX I already have 4-5 different kinds of Linux burnt on to CDs that i use

Please either suggest a type of UNIX or dont post, thanks

6. Aiello

Aiello Newbie

Ratings:
    I think that a form of BSD is the closest thing you are going to get to UNIX now a days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Go with the Solaris variant of Unix.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    For Christ's sake.

Anyway, unlike Linux, which is an offspring of UNIX, UNIX itself is an original operating system. You may find some operating systems like Solaris that claim to be UNIX, but to be frank, there is only one original UNIX. UNIX was an operating system made by a couple Telecom workers way back, which later inspired little mutant babies like Apple's OS X and Harvard graduates like Linux.

But yeah. FreeBSD is nice. The only thing I know of that BSD is superior to Linux at is running some types of file servers... however, I think that's a misconception to be honest. Linux is considered a bit more bulky in recent years than BSD or UNIX, because of distributions like Ubuntu. Remember, Ubuntu doesn't represent the entire Linux array of options. Linux encompasses operating systems like Debian, Slackware, etc.

9. OP
    ThaPunisher

ThaPunisher Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Thanks for the history lesson but just posting FreeBSD would suffice

10. Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    You're an ******* and don't deserve to be helped. Google it, lazy ***.

11. gilliandboy

gilliandboy Se7en Psycho

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link]

dig through the FTP server and find the right one. You are probably look in the ISO-i386 folder. If you can't figure that out you probably shouldn't be using UNIX.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    ThaPunisher

ThaPunisher Enthusiast

Ratings:
    First of all Google wouldn't tell me which one is the best(if there is a best one) and second of all i would just start downloading and trying, but i posted on here because i didn't have that much time and he is sitting here giving me a history lesson and telling to get other things

13. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Well dude you have to be reasonable. You posted here asking for opinions, if you're angry at the fact that he gave you more information than you wanted, then you shouldn't have posted in the first place. He was just trying to help. On a side note: Don't rule out Solaris. [Click here to view the link]

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    ThaPunisher

ThaPunisher Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I like people giving me information if it is answering the question i am asking, not throwing me in a different direction.

Solaris- holy sh** im gunna have to buy more CDs after buring that

Thank you to the people who posted an answer to the question.