Uninstall Ubuntu 8.10

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Nothinbeter2do, Jan 14, 2009 with 9 replies and 276 views.

1. Nothinbeter2do

Nothinbeter2do Banned

Ratings:
    How do I uninstall Ubuntu? I installed it using the live CD. I like having it installed but I shrink my partition too much and now instead on 67.5GB on partition one I have like 47GB.

2. dschu012

dschu012 Member

Ratings:
    Is 47gb of free space something that you should worry about? The only way I can think of is to reformat the Ubuntu partition but I dunno how that will go with the GRUB Bootloader. You should probably google and try to find better advice there are some real smart people out there (not saying we don't have any here). Ubuntu forums is also a good place to ask.

3. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    From what I got out of that you're dual booting except you don't have enough room on windows and want to delete ubuntu in order to regain the space? If that's right this should work.

Download [Click here to view the link]on Windows and run it, choose to burn it to a disc (it will create the iso for you) Pop it in, restart your computer and boot from the disc.

Select your Ubuntu partition and hit delete. It might take a while, but you're not done yet.

Select your windows and hit view mbr, and hit std mbr, and click apply. This will remove GRUB so you'll boot into windows by default.

Pop out the CD and open BootIt's boot menu, choose windows, and your computer and you should boot right into windows.

4. OP
    Nothinbeter2do

Nothinbeter2do Banned

Ratings:
    What if Ubuntu and Windows are on the same partition? Will that erase Windows also?

5. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    If Ubuntu and Windows are on the same partition then I'm not understanding something about your original question. The answer to that last question would be yes though, it would delete it.

6. OP
    Nothinbeter2do

Nothinbeter2do Banned

Ratings:
    Alright I'll try to make myself clearer.

I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows Vista. I want to uninstall Ubuntu to make more hard drive space. They are installed on the same partition. If I use the above method, will it also uninstall Windows Vista? Or just Ubuntu?

7. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I already answered that, yes it would delete both. I'm pretty sure your only option would be to reformat.

8. the_xfactor_9999

the_xfactor_9999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    im guessing that you used wubi to install windows? other than that you cant have windows and linux on the same partition unless you are using vmware. what you want to do is download and burn a disto cd called gparted. use that to move your linux partitions over a tad bit. it works, ive done it a few times. to be safe back up your files though. there is no need to reformat or delete. just MOVE your linux partitions over to make more room for windows. if your having a hard time finding gparted, look in distrowatch.com. they have links to the distro

9. OP
    Nothinbeter2do

Nothinbeter2do Banned

Ratings:
    Im guessing you didn't see the last post date?

10. the_xfactor_9999

the_xfactor_9999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yeah, i did. but for those that might find the information usefull, it is a good bit of info. anyways, i hope SOMEONE with a simular problem might get something out it