What's new

Discussion unbanning xbox 360 from live - the facts and new security a quite informative piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnodd4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Unbanning Xbox 360 From Live - The Facts
>> I see lots of sites posting today about a way to unban Xbox 360 from LIVE often linking to a thread made on our forums here.

This method has been known for a long time (since the King Kong Exploit days) and does indeed 'work'. Basically you swap the Keyvault (or 'KV' in short, it stores stuff like console certificates, per-box private keys, DVD key, etc) inside the NAND with the KV from an unbanned console. While technically very different you could somewhat compare it to swapping eeprom data during the Xbox1 days.

However there's a (really) big 'IF' (besides the required tech knowledge) ... you need the (unique) CPU key of your banned console - without it you can't correctly write (or encrypt if you want) the new KV data in the NAND bin of your banned console.
Now you wonder how to get the CPU-key ... well by running XeLL of course!
To run XeLL u need to perform the JTAG hack (or the King Kong exploit, but that's even more outdated) ... and if you got banned the last few weeks it means you updated to the latest dashboard/kernel (else you can't get on LIVE).
And that's the problem... Microsoft patched the JTAG hack since kernel 849x (July 2009) ... so no way to boot up XeLL (= no realistic way for you to get the CPU-key atm) and thus no way to swap the KV data in your NAND image.
And then there's also added KV protection (hashing) on newer motherboards (Falcon+ ? and kernel 1888 won't boot on those), but if you can't even get your CPU-key it doesn't matter much to do deeper into this problem.
The only way it would work is if you retrieved the CPU-key of your old banned 360 before you updated to anything over 849x. If you did that you probably know about all of this and I'm not telling you anything new :wink:
Downgrading kernel is not an option either, older kernels won't boot as both kernel and CB fuses were burned during the various updates MS performed, and you can't bypass that without ... your CPU-key.

Hope that explains the situation a bit (tried to make it not 'too' technical)
On a side-note, it would probably be pretty easy for MS to detect KV-swaps (like HW-mismatches etc).
Side-note2: in case it wasn't obvious yet those "unban isos" are fake and iXtreme LT won't unban you (it will instead try to avoid new bans).

I thought you would like to read this interresting they are saying there is way to unban your console but the new dashboard removes this hack.

Kinda weird.

jester

jester

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
Re: unbanning xbox 360 from live - the facts and new security a quite informative pie

I have posted multiple times in both threads (username: Xoxide). Please read my posts there.

The unban method is useless to 99.9% of the users here.

J

Johnodd4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Re: unbanning xbox 360 from live - the facts and new security a quite informative pie

I know most of this are garbage.

I would like to see how the iextreme lt is going to unban consoles.

Because i don't think it will work.

Nookie

Nookie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

Johnodd4 said:

maybe i havent been trying hard enough, but i havent read any info on the LT having the ability to un-ban consoles... :huh:

jester

jester

Retired
Retired
Legendary Veteran Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$

Johnodd4 said:

No, the article you posted is not garbage - it is clearing up what other sites have been claiming. And iXtreme LT was NEVER claimed to be able to unban consoles - that's just not how it works.

Nookie

Nookie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

jester_ said:
And iXtreme LT was NEVER claimed to be able to unban consoles - that's just not how it works.

thought so... :wink:

halolordkiller3

halolordkiller3

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$

jester i mean come on all sites like to "change" or "edit" things all the time to make it sound better. thats a problem that needs to stop. will it? more thne likly know hence y i stay on here caz MOST not all but most of the stuff on se7 is legit. i can tell wats fake and wats not. the hearing of LT unbanning? ok well i dont c how a dvd drive firmware will unban a 360 when in ways it has nothing to do with that at all, but ppl dont think. anyways qith all this crap on banned consoles going on, i can already tell ppl r starting to look into the xbox more then just con mods. hey wth y not the more suppoters the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register