ubuntu flash boot

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by xl All Pro lx, Dec 8, 2008 with 2 replies and 109 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx Member

Ratings:
    i have windows xp pro installed on my hdd and i recently installed ubuntu on my 4gb flash drive. booted from it like 2 times. but now when if i remove the drive and cut on my computer xp wont boot it says error 17 any ideas? i really dont want to start over from scratch or keep my flash drive plugged in at all times just to use my computer

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Ok first off I'm gonna tell you something you probably don't wanna hear. It's typically not a good idea to install an operating system on a flash drive, except for use in emergency situations. Flash drives aren't really meant for the excessive amount of reading and writing that a flash drive requires. Starting over from scratch is probably going to be easier in the long run, but whatever floats your boat. Anyways, it's probably a problem with GRUB either being on the flash drive and needing to be on the hard drive, or being on the hard drive and needing to be on the flash drive. You're gonna wanna try to boot from an Ubuntu Live CD and hit rescue a broken system, then hit Reinstall GRUB bootloader, and then figure out where it is and reinstall it to where it's not installed. Take a look at this page. [Click here to view the link]

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx Member

Ratings:
    thanks thats good to know. im pretty sure its a grub on the hard drive needing to be on the flash drive i really dont want to start over but if i have it w/e. ill try that thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.