• Thread starter super_copy
  • Start date
  • Views 176
S

super_copy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I had a successful RGH1.2 installation:
I programmed the TX Coolrunner (abbreviated TX CR below) with the middle-of-the-road rgh12_21.xsvf
The Falcon console was booting consistently between 8 and 18 seconds, over a dozen attempts.

However after two days of very light use, it stopped booting in subsequent power ups.
After the problem appeared, I noticed that upon powering up, the lights on the TX Coolrunner Rev. C (a knock off board) behave thus:
Red light: turns on solidly upon applying power supply, regardless of console powered on or off, never flickers.
Green light: upon powering on the console, flickers for just under 2 seconds, then turns off and never flickers again.
And the console now rarely boots into the dashboard (maybe 1 in 10 attempts, and would take 2 minutes).

All wires were taped down, never tugged or otherwise subjected to stress, and the console had been on a stable horizontal placement and not subject to any vibrations. It was booting so fast so well so many times, then it just stopped booting.

I was watching some Youtube videos, and saw that for a lot of people, the green light will flicker on every 4 seconds, indicating the TX CR is detecting failed glitches, resetting the CPU, and retrying automatically. If this is true, then I'm wondering why my TX CR is not retrying the glitches after the first attempt.

Should I try rewriting the NAND with an XeBuild built with the "CR4" option enabled? I understand this will make the TX CR attempt retries of glitches faster. However I am confused: what Xebuild generates goes into the NAND, how does this make the TX CR chip retry glitching faster?

How likely would it be a problem with the TX CR itself?

Thanks in advance!

S

super_copy

Reaction score
I resoldered the +3.3V line from the motherboard to the TX CoolRunner. (It seemed a bit loose.) It's been working fine in the last 8 reboots (takes < 18 s). Still crossing my fingers that this was only the problem.

BTW, my TXCR came with a thick wire for the +3.3V, but it was too short and unwieldy. I substituted it with a thinner and longer wire, same gauge as those for PLL and RST. The TXCR seems to be happy, it probably does not draw that much current to really need the thicker wire.

S

super_copy

Reaction score
Hello,

The problem with my console has reappeared, and is very peculiar:

- If I press the power button to turn on normally, RGH 1.2 now only succeeds maybe 1 out of 30 boots. And on every boot, the TX CoolRunner's green light only flickers for 1-2 seconds, and never flickers again. After some 5? minutes of not booting, the console shuts itself down.

- If I press the eject button to run Xell, RGH 1.2 is SUCCEEDING 100% of the time. It boots into Xell within 8 to 18 seconds. (Can't ask for better boot times!)

So with this behavior, I'm thinking that:

- My soldering never was the problem after all.

- The reason I don't see the TXCR's green light flicker every 4 or 5 seconds is maybe that it is succeeding in booting Xell on the first glitch attempt. While doing all the rebooting, I did see the TXCR flicker the green light a second time once (leading to a successful boot to the dashboard), but it rarely happens..

- However once inside Xell, if powered on via power button, when it tries to jump into the Hypervisor or kernel or whatever is in the Nand, it is getting stuck somewhere in the software.

Is there any sporadic compatibility issue between this Xell that displays "ModConsoles 1.1 by Ben Mitnick", and the dash 17559 that is in the NAND?

Should I try to downgrade the dashboard? I am not aware of anything newer than 17559 at the moment.

Or use a different version of Xell?

Or make a voodoo doll of Steve Ballmer and stick the JR Programmer's wires into it? :tongue:

S

super_copy

Reaction score
Solved!
Turns out my console won't boot reliably, unless it is connected to a HDMI TV or monitor. When so connected, it boots reliably. I hope someone could give me a glimpse of why this is so!
Back to making voodoo doll.

C

CustomXconsoles

Reaction score
sometimes the knock off chips just die.

N

nbaj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
post pictures of your soldering

Top Bottom