What's new

Tutorial [TUTORIAL] Hide the Xbox 360 Neighborhood Desktop Icon

Does this still work?

• Total voters
H

HQModz

Xbox & PSN
Reaction score
Normally you can't delete the Neighborhood icon off of your desktop without uninstalling the program. Some people don't want this icon displayed on the desktop, nor is it necessary when you can make a shortcut and launch it from anywhere. Follow this tutorial to hide the icon and continue using Xbox 360 Neighborhood.

1. Press the WINDOWS KEY + R to open the 'Run' window or search windows for "Run".

2. Type "regedit" without the quotes and press enter.

3. In the left pane, navigate to the following directory:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{57B2D0D9-32DD-476a-B663-C85D2EA24AA5}

4. Right click on the folder {57B2D0D9-32DD-476a-B663-C85D2EA24AA5} and delete. Click yes to confirm deletion.

5. The icon should now be removed from your desktop. If not, refresh the desktop or restart your computer.

-HQModz

Last edited:
S

Snowy

Let it snow
Reaction score
Normally you can't delete the Neighborhood icon off of your desktop without uninstalling the program. Some people don't want this icon displayed on the desktop, nor is it necessary when you can make a shortcut and launch it from anywhere. Follow this tutorial to hide the icon and continue using Xbox 360 Neighborhood.

1. Press the WINDOWS KEY + R to open the 'Run' window. Alternatively, search windows for "Run".

2. Type "regedit" without the quotes and press enter.

3. In the left pane, navigate to the following directory:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{57B2D0D9-32DD-476a-B663-C85D2EA24AA5}

4. Right click on the folder {57B2D0D9-32DD-476a-B663-C85D2EA24AA5} and delete. Click yes to confirm deletion.

5. The icon should now be removed from your desktop! If not, refresh the desktop or restart your computer.
Just to let you know, your images are broken for me.
Afaik, this is still an issue caused by the move to https (not your fault), if I was you, I'd just put the direct link beneath as well.
Like this:

https://i.gyazo.com/d4ebf255168bb84e6ae1b70ef6ecd364.png

C

CustomRGH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does not bother me but thanks for this

J

Jamdoogen

Let's turn forever, you and me
Reaction score
That's actually a really cool tutorial..

T

thementaldj27

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't work for me, do you have any other solutions.

A

AltSierra117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome tut, instead of deleting the registry just rename it.

A

AltSierra117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's say that you change the X360 IP address and you have to add a new entry on the Neighborhood app in order to get access through your console, it will recreate the Icon again on the desktop, but the previous default directory "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace" the folder "{57B2D0D9-32DD-476a-B663-C85D2EA24AA5}" is no longer available, search for this new one "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID" with the name folder "{57B2D0D9-32DD-476a-B663-C85D2EA24AA5}".

And again instead of deleting the registry, just rename it with a special character.

Last edited:
J

Just1n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IIRC you can also pin the application to your start menu

M

Mobfather Repair

Console Technician
Reaction score
So how do you open it now?

J

Just1n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend to pin the Xbox 360 Neighborhood application to your start menu before you remove the registry key! So you can still open it even after the icon is gone from the desktop

H

HQModz

Xbox & PSN
Reaction score
I would recommend to pin the Xbox 360 Neighborhood application to your start menu before you remove the registry key! So you can still open it even after the icon is gone from the desktop
You could always access it through the program files folder and pin it that way.

G

Goldz True

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks. really getting tired of seeing this on my desktop.

P

Professional

Staff
Staff
Reaction score
My friend did something like this and it caused issues re-installing the app. I think it was due to the fact he didn't install it in the default directory to begin with. So take care when doing this but yes I agree its not always ideal having the icon on the desktop. I've pinned mine in file explorer under Quick Access since and it works like a charm.

G

Goldz True

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant get it to show anymore and i tried reinstalling and its not there....... could you please help me get it back..

Top Bottom