What's new

Discussion [Tutorial] Convert MKV movies to WMV HD so you can view them on xbox 360

• Thread starter AndreVengeance
  • Start date
  • Views 859
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AndreVengeance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i take no credit for this

1 step: download Encode360.

Beware you will need the following requirements so this can work:
Net Frameworks 2.0
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Media Encoder 9 (this one its very very important cause is this codec that will allow to convert to wmv format).

2 step: uninstall all codec packs that you have installed so theres no conflict whit the new ones.

3 step: install encode360, this program will also install a codeck pack for you.

4 step: open encode360, click on '+' and add the desire mkv file.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 552x335 and weights 32KB.
addfilekv9.jpg

5 step: go to 'advanced' and add the option in fddshow so the program can put the subtitles while converting the movie. (no need if the movie is in english of course)
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 552x337 and weights 32KB.
advancedeh8.jpg

wol_error.gif
Click this bar to view the full image.
fddshowtu2.jpg

6 step: still in advanced menu specifie the desired video bitrate and sound bitrate(i put the options like they are in the original file).
wol_error.gif
videobitrr3.jpg

7 passo: Choose wich codec will be used.
WMV8 - quickest conversion and good quality
WMV9 - not so quick but better quality
WVC1 - best quality at expensive of speed conversion

I recommed use the 2º codec, altough i've used the 1º and quality is still 99,8% of the original
tongue.gif
. (later i'll put 2 pics so you guys can view the diferences between the original mkv and the converted wmv hd).
wol_error.gif
codectb9.jpg

In Mode option leave the 1st one, cause the 2nd takes to long.

8 step: leave the advanced menu and choose the desired resolution(i use the resolution that is used by the original mkv movie).
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 552x335 and weights 34KB.
resao2.jpg

9 step: clck on 'Start' button and wait for the result. By converting to wmv hd you will not only have great hd video as also 5.1 sound if the original mkv has as well, this dont happens if you convert to mp4.
biggrin.gif

S

SoNice

Reaction score
you dont need this anymore. Use Windows Media Center to stream mkv. you just need a new Divx 7 update. it works fine

X

xTc

Reaction score
SoNice said:
you dont need this anymore. Use Windows Media Center to stream mkv. you just need a new Divx 7 update. it works fine

I just download the Divx 7 update. The update allows you to play MKV files in Windows Media Center on your computer, but not on your xbox.

I just tried playing a MKV file on my 360 in windows media center and it couldn't read it. This is most likely because on the 360 the only codec available is WMV/AVI.

So unless you can update the codecs on the 360 you can not play MKV.

If I am wrong please explain how you play MKV files on your 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom