What's new

Tutorial [TUT] Rooting Kindle Fire HDX/Installing Google Play Store and Other Google Apps

Z

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
Recently Geohot released a root for Android devices that will work on almost any version of Android from before June 3, 2014. Now on to the guide.

1. Using your Kindle got to http://towelroot.com/ to get the TowelRoot APK.
  2. Install the APK and your Kindle will reboot.
    (Optional) Install a root checker and make sure your Kindle is rooted.
  3. Now install the Xposed Framework from here. http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk
  4. Then install the HDXposed APK from here. HDXposed APK
  5. Launch Xposed Installer app.
  6. Click Framework and click install/update.
  7. Click Modules and enable HDXposed.
  8. Reboot your device by holding the power button for about 20 seconds or until it goes off and comes back on.
  9. Install the 4 Google APKs in this zip file. DO NOT OPEN ANY OF THEM UNTIL YOU INSTALL ALL 4!!! Google Play APKs
  10. Open the Google Play Store and sign in with your Google account.
  11. Congratulations, you can now use most apps and services like a normal android tablet!!!

Disabling automatic updates from Amazon.
If you want to disable the automatic updates from Amazon to ensure that a new update won't take away your root access and mess everything up check out the HDX ToolKit here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665683

I hope you guys enjoy the guide and being able to use the play store, gmail, google music and much more on your Kindle device now!

As always I am not responsible for any damage done to your device. If you follow these steps exactly, you should have no problems. If you do run in to problems, go to settings>device>restore to factory default.

Last edited:
C

CRDNight

Dota 2/LoL
Reaction score
Im a bit of a noob here but can you root a Kindle fire with just installing an apk?

Z

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
Im a bit of a noob here but can you root a Kindle fire with just installing an apk?
Rooting is just installing an APK. If all you want is root access, just do the first 2 steps.

X

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Reaction score
Rooting is just installing an APK. If all you want is root access, just do the first 2 steps.
rooting is not just installing an apk, rooting puts the phone into advanced debugging mode with admin rights(root on android) (jailbreak on IOS), pretty much making the device open to anything as you now have full security rights, be careful as when updates come along they can brick the device when changing things and also have anti virus on android because one malicious app can lead to a brick too. (ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP AND FULL RECOVERY MODES!!!!!!)

Z

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
rooting is not just installing an apk, rooting puts the phone into advanced debugging mode with admin rights(root on android) (jailbreak on IOS), pretty much making the device open to anything as you now have full security rights, be careful as when updates come along they can brick the device when changing things and also have anti virus on android because one malicious app can lead to a brick too. (ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP AND FULL RECOVERY MODES!!!!!!)
I know this. I meant to him that this root is just installing the APK. He asked. "can you root a Kindle fire with just installing an apk?"

X

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Reaction score
I know this. I meant to him that this root is just installing the APK. He asked. "can you root a Kindle fire with just installing an apk?"
just clearing that up :smile: yes most roots are just apks but some certainly custom roms require odin flashes, which is why i havent rooted my samsung galaxy note 3, damn security measures void warrenty through the rom on there D:

Z

ZMOT

Steve Harvey
Reaction score
just clearing that up :smile: yes most roots are just apks but some certainly custom roms require odin flashes, which is why i havent rooted my samsung galaxy note 3, damn security measures void warrenty through the rom on there D:
Yeah, sadly roms don't work well on the Kindles because it doesn't have all the resources of stock android. I wish I could get a good custom rom working on it.

Top Bottom