[TUT] PC power supply powering an Xbox 360!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Hardware Customizations' started by NicksMods, Dec 8, 2008 with 8 replies and 5,056 views.

1. NicksMods

NicksMods Contributor

Ratings:
    The purpose of me attempting this mod was simple : I have 4 xbox 360's and 2 360 PSU's . As anyone can " do the math " you can see why I did it and especially looking at the price of 360 PSU's . I had this old one sitting around so I figured I'd go for it .For this mod I used an older AT 250 watt power supply that already had a switch to turn it on and off . If you use an ATX power supply you'll have to connect two wires together to keep it in " standby " or " always on " . Llamma and myself are NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU FRY YOUR 360 ! Do this mod at your own risk !!

Step 1 - Open the 360 console. If you can't figure out how do a google search it's out there.
    Step 2 - Carefully remove the 360 motherboard. Flip over the mobo and locate the power plug.

Step 3 - VERY CAREFULLY solder the needed wires to their respected pins . These pins are labeled 1-10 . Voltages of pins are as follows :
    Pins 1-3 are Ground
    Pins 4-6 are 12 volts
    Pin 7 is reference signal ( Usually blue wire on PC PSU )
    Pin 8 is 5 volts
    Pic below ....
    [​IMG]

Step 4 - Now we need to "notch" the shielding as shown below to let the wires fit. A Dremel tool worked for me.
    [​IMG]

room for wires
    [​IMG]

wires routed
    [​IMG]
    back view
    [​IMG]

Step 5 - Next we need to notch the bottom case for the wires as shown below.
    [​IMG]

after cut
    [​IMG]
    after re-installation
    [​IMG]

Step 6 - Now we need to prepare the PC PSU . To do this we need to install connectors to the wires on the 360 and the PSU , similar to the pic below . I heat shrinked any solder joints and shrinked all my wires of the same voltage together .This gives it a cleaner look , but is not necessary if you like tripping over wires .
    Also notice how I made the same voltage wires have the same connectors and grounds are opposite of the +'s.
    [​IMG]

Step 7 - Well , now all you have left is to test and play.
    [​IMG]

TUTORIAL FROM: LLAMMA.COM
    Author: I have no idea

2. ForrrestMaster

ForrrestMaster Guest

Ratings:
  3. OP
    NicksMods

NicksMods Contributor

Ratings:
    in case you busted the other power supply and were to cheap to buy another one :smile:

4. ForrrestMaster

ForrrestMaster Guest

Ratings:
    You REALLY need to give credit.

5. OP
    NicksMods

NicksMods Contributor

Ratings:
  6. flandersman

flandersman Newbie

Ratings:
    nice. how do people think up this stuff? whered u get that idea?

7. OP
    NicksMods

NicksMods Contributor

Ratings:
    i didnt get this idea it was someone elses i just ripped the tutorial ... but i did do somthing like this for my xbox maby i will post a tut soon:smile:

8. walapu

walapu Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Ehhh it's kinda ugly :frown: no offense

9. OP
    NicksMods

NicksMods Contributor

Ratings: