• Thread starter Jake007g
  • Start date
  • Views 45,093
J

Jake007g

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This guide is (Being) written 100% by Me. Please do not copy this guide to other websites without my permission. TTG have already copied it without permission from me (LINK), which really p*sses me off, because this guide took me a good 4 hours to write.

In this guide I will be using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. The purpose of this guide is to provide Linux users with a way to use USB mods without running a Windows virtual machine or a dual-boot.

Credits go to the original developers of all the programs used in this tutorial.

USBXTAF in Linux: (Needed for all USB Mods)
Ok, firstly, you will need to install MonoDevelop and the Mono .NET runtime environment in order to use USBXTAF in Linux. Luckily, this is as simple as typing this command into the Terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mono mono-gmcs mono-gac mono-utils monodevelop monodoc-browser monodevelop-nunit monodevelop-versioncontrol

Once this process of installation is complete, go ahead and download USBXTAFGUI_v26 HERE.

(v27 currently doesn't work so don't update it if asked, I have contacted slasher asking to bring back Linux compatibility in later versions.)

Once you have downloaded the .ZIP file, extract the USBXplorer folder to your home folder.

If you haven't already, plug in your formatted Xbox 360 USB drive.

Now, open up a new Terminal window, and input the following commands in this order (Capitalization matters)
Code:
cd USBXplorer
Code:
mono USBXTAFGUI.exe

You can now extract your profile and save files as you would normally.

Screenshot
Prerequisites: (Needed for everything onwards from here).
To run many programs under Linux, you need to be able to use .NET applications which use .DLL files which can only normally be accessed by a Windows operating system. To do this, You will need to firstly download and install Wine. You can do this by using a Terminal Command like so:

Code:
sudo apt-get install wine

Now, let Wine install.

Next you need to install and set up Wine Tricks.

Open up a new Terminal window and type these commands:

Code:
wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
Code:
chmod +x winetricks
Code:
sh winetricks mono20

Once this has downloaded, proceed to install with default settings.

Next, you need to install .NET framework for Linux. This can be done by using this terminal command:

Code:
sh winetricks dotnet35
EzGt in Linux:
Before you try and use EzGt in Linux, please make sure you have extracted your profile with USBXTAF in Linux, and installed all the prerequisites which are listed above.

Ok, firstly You will need to download EZGT 1.1 from HERE. Newer versions of EzGt do not work on Linux, this guide covers everything You will need on how to manually rehash+resign in Linux later on.

Once You have downloaded EzGt, extract the EzGt folder to Your Home Folder. Now open up a new Terminal window, and type the following commands:

Code:
cd EzGt
Code:
wine 'EzGt.exe'

EzGt should now load up. Now you need to click open, and locate Your profile which you extracted with USBXTAF. Modify Your gamertag to whatever you want and save Your modded gamertag profile somewhere safe. Before you can re-inject this onto your USB, YOU NEED TO REHASH AND RESIGN YOUR PROFILE!
Rehashing and Resigning in Linux:

J

Jake007g

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Updating tutorial again now, just need to add the rehash section. Does anyone have any requests for other USB mods on Linux?

ryokea

ryokea

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Updating tutorial again now, just need to add the rehash section. Does anyone have any requests for other USB mods on Linux?
I work a lot with Linux so if you need another person testing anything just shoot me a message.

X

xkylorslayerzx

Reaction score
Sin$
Just so you know, mono is packaged in the repositories as monodevelop, so trying to install mono will cause problems. Just removing mono from the command should fix it.

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs mono-gac mono-utils monodevelop monodoc-browser monodevelop-nunit monodevelop-versioncontrol

Now I just have to wait for you to finish the rehash part, then I can finally stop using my virtual machine so much.

L

loph12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
There aren't enough tutorials for modding in linux. I am a linux junkie and it makes me smile to see this posted and people liking it
laugh.gif
+rep

G

gazoo92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
niice tutorial....please finish it..i am really looking forward to ths

S

SavageCHRIS

Reaction score
Sin$
Is there a program for linux that lets you explore the 360 HDD ?

I

iiTzUncleSam

Reaction score
Sin$
Please feel free to post the Rehasher I made, just give credit where credit is due.

W

WarzPirate

Reaction score
Sin$
USBXTAF in Linux: (Needed for all USB Mods)
Ok, firstly, you will need to install MonoDevelop and the Mono .NET runtime environment in order to use USBXTAF in Linux. Luckily, this is as simple as typing this command into the Terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install mono mono-gmcs mono-gac mono-utils monodevelop monodoc-browser monodevelop-nunit monodevelop-versioncontrol

Once this process of installation is complete, go ahead and download USBXTAFGUI_v26 HERE.

(v27 currently doesn't work so don't update it if asked, I have contacted slasher asking to bring back Linux compatibility in later versions.)

Once you have downloaded the .ZIP file, extract the USBXplorer folder to your home folder.

If you haven't already, plug in your formatted Xbox 360 USB drive.

Now, open up a new Terminal window, and input the following commands in this order (Capitalization matters)
Code:
cd USBXplorer
Code:
mono USBXTAFGUI.exe

You can now extract your profile and save files as you would normally.

Screenshot

Aright unless I have done something wrong here I am trying to locate the missing DLL file so that I can place it in the directory location terminal is telling me it should be in.

Code:
warzpirate-P43-ES3G:~$ cd USBXplorer
warzpirate-P43-ES3G:~/USBXplorer$ mono USBXTAFGUI.exe
The program 'mono' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install mono-runtime
warzpirate-P43-ES3G:~/USBXplorer$ sudo apt-get install mono-runtime
[sudo] password for warzpirate: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  language-pack-zh-hans language-pack-kde-en linux-headers-3.2.0-29
  language-pack-kde-zh-hans language-pack-kde-en-base kde-l10n-engb
  linux-headers-3.2.0-29-generic-pae kde-l10n-zhcn language-pack-zh-hans-base
  firefox-locale-zh-hans language-pack-kde-zh-hans-base
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  cli-common libmono-corlib4.0-cil libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil
  libmono-i18n4.0-cil libmono-security4.0-cil
  libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil libmono-system-security4.0-cil
  libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil mono-4.0-gac mono-gac
Suggested packages:
  libmono-i18n4.0-all libgamin0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cli-common libmono-corlib4.0-cil libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil
  libmono-i18n4.0-cil libmono-security4.0-cil
  libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil libmono-system-security4.0-cil
  libmono-system-xml4.0-cil libmono-system4.0-cil mono-4.0-gac mono-gac
  mono-runtime
0 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,133 kB of archives.
After this operation, 11.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/main cli-common all 0.8.2 [175 kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-system-xml4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [441 kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-system-security4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [61.3 kB]
Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [58.8 kB]
Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-system4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [662 kB]
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-security4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [126 kB]
Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main mono-4.0-gac all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [19.8 kB]
Get:8 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main mono-gac all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [13.9 kB]
Get:9 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main mono-runtime i386 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [1,519 kB]
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-corlib4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [1,008 kB]
Get:11 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-i18n4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [19.7 kB]
Get:12 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil all 2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2 [28.0 kB]
Fetched 4,133 kB in 3s (1,196 kB/s)             
Selecting previously unselected package cli-common.
(Reading database ... 188757 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cli-common (from .../cli-common_0.8.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-system-xml4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-system-xml4.0-cil (from .../libmono-system-xml4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-system-security4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-system-security4.0-cil (from .../libmono-system-security4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil (from .../libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-system4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-system4.0-cil (from .../libmono-system4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-security4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-security4.0-cil (from .../libmono-security4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mono-4.0-gac.
Unpacking mono-4.0-gac (from .../mono-4.0-gac_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mono-gac.
Unpacking mono-gac (from .../mono-gac_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mono-runtime.
Unpacking mono-runtime (from .../mono-runtime_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-corlib4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-corlib4.0-cil (from .../libmono-corlib4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-i18n4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-i18n4.0-cil (from .../libmono-i18n4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil.
Unpacking libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil (from .../libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil_2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Setting up cli-common (0.8.2) ...
Setting up libmono-security4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up mono-4.0-gac (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up mono-gac (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/gacutil to provide /usr/bin/cli-gacutil (global-assembly-cache-tool) in auto mode.
Setting up mono-runtime (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/mono to provide /usr/bin/cli (cli) in auto mode.
Setting up libmono-corlib4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up libmono-i18n4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up libmono-system4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up libmono-system-xml4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up libmono-system-security4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Setting up libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
warzpirate-P43-ES3G:~/USBXplorer$ mono USBXTAFGUI.exe
The assembly mscorlib.dll was not found or could not be loaded.
It should have been installed in the `/usr/lib/mono/2.0/mscorlib.dll' directory.
warzpirate-P43-ES3G:~/USBXplorer$ ^C
warzpirate-P43-ES3G:~/USBXplorer$

Did I do this wrong or something? Keep in mind I am kind of new to Linux here so yeah I am a noob.

W

WarzPirate

Reaction score
Sin$
But what if I want to use modio ? try to get that going please

Modio, Horizon, and most other tools will not run because of issues with the .Net Frameworks. I have installed frameworks in the past on older versions of Ubuntu & had no problems with other applications but for some reason these files will not run under Linux not even with use of WINE. It would be nice if they did, but yeah what did you expect guess I am going to install 7 again on my 2TB backup drive & leave Linux on the 60GB SSD.

O

OldWolfDavide

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello, this is my first post on the forum.
My Name is Davide, nice to meet you all :smile:

I followed the tutorial but I can't get USBXTAF to work properly, could you please help me? I'm currently using ubuntu 12.10 and my xbox 360 is not j-tagged. The problem is that, if I try to run USBXATF in mono (using the terminal) as son as i click on "open device" the software crashes. If i try to use wine inestead the software recognises only a root folder, without further options. What can I do to fix this? (beside jtagging my consolle, don't have enough money for now XD)

Thanks a lot!

Dav

Finland NErD

Finland NErD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, i know... this is old thread, but this is the only one around.
So, I am using Linux Mint 16 and trying to mod Dark Souls.

I did everything sayed, but it says error.....
Here is the terminals answer:

Code:
^Tusername@username-COMPUTER ~ $ cd USBXplorer
username@cmaisters-COMPUTER ~/USBXplorer $ mono USBXTAFGUI.exe
Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'New_Gui.Program' from assembly 'New Gui, Version=1.0.0.26, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'New_Gui.Program' from assembly 'New Gui, Version=1.0.0.26, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
username@username-COMPUTER ~/USBXplorer $

FineNerdsS7

FineNerdsS7

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
I had Linux for a while and it is easier than this :tongue: Download Velocity. It is horizon made in Java (pretty much). It takes a little to get used to, but I like it a lot more than horizon now.

W

welly

Reaction score
Sin$
i put the first command line on the website but it said unable to locate package mono or something i am on ubuntu unity and which version of linux do you need

snafu

snafu

Retired
Retired
Hidden Devils
A Milli Programmer Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
i put the first command line on the website but it said unable to locate package mono or something i am on ubuntu unity and which version of linux do you need
Thread is 2 years old.

Top Bottom
Login
Register