• Thread starter Stupiditility
  • Start date
  • Views 47,379
S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well after 2 hours worth of googling and not find any usefull information, I found how to boot into Linux on your JTAGED Xbox 360. Yes, thats right, none of the kernel 43 whatever the hell it is and no god damned King Kong exploit. This also assumes you have Xell installed, blah blah blah. If you already don't know what I'm talking about, then don't try this.

First off, if anyone should get credit for this, it should be free60.org, glad to have them back since their server downtime. (but seriously, I did do all my own research for this and havn't seen a guide JUST for JTAGs without that stupid 43XX kernel and King Kong, so some creditz pl0x :] )

So, you're going to need a few things before hand.
  • Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2 that's what I've got and that's what worked for me :]
  • Blank DVD's. For burning the gentoo iso
  • DVD burner and DVD burning software, whatever floats your boat on this one. I used PowerISO.
  • USB keyboard
  • USB mouse
NOTE: Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2 is approx. 620MB in size, so be prepared for the download time.

Now that you have all that, its time to get started

Step 1: Burn your Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2.ISO to a blank DVD using your burning software of your choice.

Step 2: Connect your Xbox 360 to your TV

Step 3: Make sure there is no disc in the tray and turn on the Xbox by pressing the EJECT BUTTON, NOT POWER BUTTON :]

Step 4: You will see a blue screen (no, not BSOD) with random stuff. This is where your CPU key is (FYI: to get that, combine fuse sets 3 and 5 OR 4 and 6). Once that's done and the tray is still open, put in your Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2 disc and close the tray.

Step 5: Wait... And be greeted by some penguins :]

Step 6: Set up linux as you normally would.

There you go, Linux on your Xbox 360 WITHOUT the stupid King Kong and all that cr*p. Maybe old to some, but also new to many more.

Hope this helps.

FAQ (yes, i know.. but its here anyway)
Q: Can you run linux emulators?
A: YES! But only 2D emulators, not N64 for now, as there arn't proper drivers yet

Q: Can this...
A: From what I've read and understood, YES, this is basically a fully functioning Linux computer.

S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
157 views and not even a BAD comment or negative criticism?

xXiTzFRAGGY

xXiTzFRAGGY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Any way to set this up without a DVD Drive ? Mine F***ed up.... I miss Linux..lol

bubushkinator

bubushkinator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So... when you boot a disc through that blue screen, which file does it boot? the .elf file?

S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So... when you boot a disc through that blue screen, which file does it boot? the .elf file?
I have no idea :]
All i know is it boots the LiveCD which doenst need any installing or shiz.

Any way to set this up without a DVD Drive ? Mine F***ed up.... I miss Linux..lol
Uhmm as far as i can tell, no.
Ive always used the dvd drive to get into linux, then install ubuntu on my 360 hdd so i dont need gentoo anymore but to install ubuntu, you need dvd to boot the liveCD

Is Gentoo the only distribution that will work?
NO! :]
ive installed ubuntu, its just i know theres a Gentoo linux LiveCD and i KNOW it works perfectly (assuming you do it correctly)
then in linux, you sudo sum stuff and install linux on your 360hdd and can boot into linux from that, a google search should find what your after.

slimwadey

slimwadey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well after 2 hours worth of googling and not find any usefull information, I found how to boot into Linux on your JTAGED Xbox 360. Yes, thats right, none of the kernel 43 whatever the hell it is and no god damned King Kong exploit. This also assumes you have Xell installed, blah blah blah. If you already don't know what I'm talking about, then don't try this.

First off, if anyone should get credit for this, it should be free60.org, glad to have them back since their server downtime. (but seriously, I did do all my own research for this and havn't seen a guide JUST for JTAGs without that stupid 43XX kernel and King Kong, so some creditz pl0x :] )

So, you're going to need a few things before hand.
  • Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2 that's what I've got and that's what worked for me :]
  • Blank DVD's. For burning the gentoo iso
  • DVD burner and DVD burning software, whatever floats your boat on this one. I used PowerISO.
  • USB keyboard
  • USB mouse
NOTE: Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2 is approx. 620MB in size, so be prepared for the download time.

Now that you have all that, its time to get started

Step 1: Burn your Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2.ISO to a blank DVD using your burning software of your choice.

Step 2: Connect your Xbox 360 to your TV

Step 3: Make sure there is no disc in the tray and turn on the Xbox by pressing the EJECT BUTTON, NOT POWER BUTTON :]

Step 4: You will see a blue screen (no, not BSOD) with random stuff. This is where your CPU key is (FYI: to get that, combine fuse sets 3 and 5 OR 4 and 6). Once that's done and the tray is still open, put in your Gentoo LiveCD BETA v2 disc and close the tray.

Step 5: Wait... And be greeted by some penguins :]

Step 6: Set up linux as you normally would.

There you go, Linux on your Xbox 360 WITHOUT the stupid King Kong and all that cr*p. Maybe old to some, but also new to many more.

Hope this helps.

FAQ (yes, i know.. but its here anyway)
Q: Can you run linux emulators?
A: YES! But only 2D emulators, not N64 for now, as there arn't proper drivers yet

Q: Can this...
A: From what I've read and understood, YES, this is basically a fully functioning Linux computer.

Dude your Sig anim is the funniest thing ever !!

bloody hilarious !

Slim

D

Daniel19

Reaction score
Sin$
I tried this and it works but it does not allow me to change my screen resolution is there a way to fix this please?

xXiNsAn3rAg3Xx

xXiNsAn3rAg3Xx

Reaction score
Sin$
Haha, in that case, your not only a noob to jtag's, but also a noob to computers. Linux is a operationg system based on Unix,there is actually many different types of linux, redhat, ubuntu etc... In my opinion ubuntu is one of the greatest operating systems, mainly because it is free and takes nothing to run. Very efficient!

S

SmexyPenguin18

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
So there is no way to install? Only live cd? Can you atleast mount a hard drive?

S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
thanks to everyone contributing answers to peoples questions, much appreciated :smile:

M

MattTheNewb

Reaction score
Sin$
Heyy i really need your help people, hence the name.. I would like to know if this is just a way to boot linux or does this technique let you actually install linux to your hdd? I would be grateful if someone would respond quickly thanks.

S

sovietpyro

Reaction score
Sin$
Great tutorial, easy to follow and worked on the first try for me. Though one thing I thought I should point out, you don't need a DVD you can use a CD-RW (It's what I used) just fine as long as the blank CD has the space since the file is only around 620MB.

**EDIT** Oh and this works on XBR for thoes of you that don't know since Xell already comes installed with it.

S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Heyy i really need your help people, hence the name.. I would like to know if this is just a way to boot linux or does this technique let you actually install linux to your hdd? I would be grateful if someone would respond quickly thanks.
Well i understand your new, but for gods sake, please read the WHOLE thread before posting a question as its alrady been answered. It is only 1 page....

This BOOTS linux from the cd/dvd... thus the term LIVE CD...

This technique doesnt let you install it to your harddrive, there is another tut on that somewhere else on these forums. Like i said, this boots it from the LIVE CD (and f you read the whole thread, youd know a live cd doenst need to be installed)

neehosoft

neehosoft

Reaction score
Sin$

This is the second time I have responded to this question.
Welcome to the forum, but please learn to read the whole thread before posting.

M

MattTheNewb

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok sorry to be a pain- perhaps this is another obvious problem but i burned the iso file to a cd, and i did everything that you said but it doesnt even read the disc. i think there ma be a problem because when its the blue screen it trys connecting to these servers and it says that it has an error or something, and then it says retrying..... so is this normal- do you think i should plug in a wireless adapter and see if that solves anything? cheers

Top Bottom
Login
Register