What's new

Tutorial [TuT] How to Root Android (All FW)

• Thread starter Truffs
  • Start date
  • Views 77,160
T

Truffs

Reaction score
Here is a Mega thread on How to Root any firmware of android phone​
Hope this Helps :biggrin:

Other Great Root Threads/Forums:
Great website for rooting questions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/

How to check your firmware:
1). Open Settings
2). Go down to about phone
3). Now hit Software information

Pros/Cons of rooting your android:
Pros:
Some common reasons to root an Android phone include:

• The ability to add more home screens (say 5, from the default 3 in Android 1.5 and 1.6);

• "Tethering" your 3G internet connection to their laptop computer via USB cable, WiFi, or Bluetooth (using the phone as a modem);

• Installing a 3rd party ROM (or "Mod"), including a more recent version of the OS than your telco has provided for the phone;

• Backing up all the data and apps on the device;

• Being able to apply custom themes;

• The ability to install any application (including those "blocked" by your telco), apps that have been "banned" from the Market, and even alternatives to the Market itself;

• FLAC lossless audio;

• multi-touch support;

• The ability to overclock the processor; and

• Enabling enhanced sdcard capabilities such as caching and allowing you to install and run apps on the sdcard (freeing up your internal memory).
Cons:
There are two primary draw-backs to rooting your Android:

• If the rooting process fails you may permanently "brick" your phone, rendering it unusable for anything other than, well, a brick;

• Rooting your phone typically voids the manufacturer and telco warranties.

Other drawbacks are more specific to what is done after the device is rooted (burning out the CPU due to overclocking, wearing out the sdcard prematurely due to caching and running apps directly from it, etc.). Additionally, the potential monetary costs that your telco might apply when they see you've downloaded several gig of data to your laptop using their 3G or EDGE network might run into thousands of dollars, especially if roaming.

How to tell if you are successfully rooted:
In android market download Root Check. This app tells you if everything is installed/rooted correctly and is 100% free :thumbsup:

How to root any Droid regard the FW:

Roots For Specific Android Firmware:​

Firmware 2.2.1:
Download that version of Z4Root put it on your phone. Once on phone install then open the app and click perma root or temporary root

Firmware 2.2.2 (android Froyo):
Steps By Step
1.) Make sure you have versions Froyo 2.2.2, Honeycomb, Gingerbread.
2.) Download Gingerbreak.apk from GingerBreak-v1.20.apk
3.) Make sure you have USB Debugging turned on
4.) Install Gingerbreak to your phone
5.) Open Gingerbreak app
6.) Click On "ROOT DEVICE"
7.) You will wait anything between a minute or 2
8.) If your phone reboots then the root went through
9.) IF this does not work Run SuperoneClick 1.9

If above method doesnt work:
Use same steps as above but download this instead of gingerbreak: SuperOneClickv1.9.5-ShortFuse.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Firmware 1.5-1.6 2.0-2.2 (universal androot method):
Video Tut (Did not make):
[video=youtube;FV_2LsY-MtE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_2LsY-MtE[/video]

Firmware 1.5 or less:
On your Android phone go to: http://ryebrye.com/files/flashrec.apk
Here is a video Tut that I did not make:
[video=youtube;cfskzfjOMgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfskzfjOMgc[/video]

Firmware Version 2.1 (Z4root method):
For Firmware 2.1 the easiest method is using Z4Root which can be downloaded here: [APP] z4root - xda-developers

Here is a video tut (I did not make this):
[video=youtube;xfF5FNrMOyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfF5FNrMOyA[/video]

Firmware 2.3.2:
For Firmware 2.1 the easiest method is using Z4Root which can be downloaded here: [APP] z4root - xda-developers

Steps:
Install z4root.apk onto android
Open z4root
Click permanent root or temporary root
Enjoy :biggrin:

Firmware 2.3.3 (froyo android):
Use this video Tut:
[video=youtube;Ga__L6Mwxfs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga__L6Mwxfs[/video]

Firmware 2.3:

Firmware 2.3.4:

First up you will need to download http://androidadvices.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/XXJVP-Complete-Rooting-Package.zip which contains the Odin flash tool with which you will need to flash the device and also this package contains a CF Root XXJVP tar file which we will see in the due course of this article on how to use this in your computer.

As soon as you download the complete rooting package, you will have to just proceed to unzip the same, please note that as soon as you proceed to unzip the same, you will have to unzip the same to the desktop so that you can easily find all of them. In the process of unzipping if you are prompted to enter the password then enter the password as “androidadvices.com” only after which the files will be extracted. You will get two files as shown in the below screen shot.

Now, after you extract the files, you will find two files that are the tar file and also the Odin 3 v1.7. Now just open the Odin exe file after which you just need to turn your Galaxy S Off so that you can enter tour phone in the download mode. The download mode can be entered by holding the Volume Down button + the Home key button (the middle button), while holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device after which you will see the below screen as shown below,

Now, after this you will have to connect the Galaxy S GT I9000 to the computer with the help of USB cable after entering into the download mode. Please note that after you connect the phone with the computer, the ID:COM box as shown below will turn yellow and in the message box you will see that it will show ADDED as shown in the below screen shot which means that all the required drivers have been loaded successfully and you are ready to proceed for rooting the device.

Now, you need to click on the PDA tab and after that select the file which is named as “CF-Root-XX_JVP_AAD_RFS.tar”. Select the same and without changing any other variables, just click on the Start tab to start the rooting process. So, as soon as select the file, you will have to wait till the process is completed and don’t interrupt the process till the rooting process is completed.
That’s it as soon as you click on the Start option, you will see that the device will be rooted successfully within 10 minutes of clicking on the Start and also after the process is finished, the device will be rebooting and also the Clock work mod recovery tool too will be inducted in your Galaxy S.
Please note that with the help of the CWM recovery tool you can easily flash the kernels, flash the update.zip files, delete the backups, back up the ROMs, restore the backed ROMs etc. To enter into the recovery mode, first switch off the phone and then hold the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button), while holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device. So, this provides a gateway to fulfill all the required customizations which you wish to apply on your Galaxy S. Do, let us know if there are any issues with the rooting process, if there are any then we will help you to get out of this.

Firmware 3.0:

How to Update Xoom without losing root: [video=youtube;YRpKh3Koqr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRpKh3Koqr8[/video]

Firmware 3.1:
I believe there is no method yet :frown:

*Disclamer* Do this at your own risk I am not responsible if you brick your android.

T

The Rooster

Reaction score
I have the htc inspire and i know rooting it is different than other androids its on 2.3.3 firmware does the tutorial still work for my phone. sorry if this is a dumb question new to android phones and rooting.

S

shabbypenguin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can this be edited/removed please? "how to root 2.3.4" is only for samsung devices (they are teh only ones with odin and download mode) and even then its more of a guide to root the SGS2 not any generic samsung 2.3.4. someone is gunna try to do this stuff and end up bricking

S

si6sins

Reaction score
when i tap backup recovery image i get : Backup FAILED

O

o N ii N J A o

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if you could help, I have tried to follow a walk-though and when I use RSD lite my model name is SE not NS and this will not allow me to continue with the walk-though can someone help me? I want to finish adding alien onto my atrix

S

shabbypenguin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
seriously guys this guide tells you nothing on how to root recent android devices

Top Bottom