• Views 16,077
DrZimbabwe

DrZimbabwe

Peace at Last
Diamonds Are Forever Beginning of An Odyssey MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Tutorial - How to Install Kmeaw CFW - No Bricking + Backups + PSN​

With the release of five main custom firmwares already, most of you are scrambling for a guide on how to install them. Well, the folks at PS3hax have delivered just that, bringing us a well written, easy to use tutorial, on installing Kmeaw Custom Firmware. Kmeaw is the latest CFW to be released, coming out earlier today. So far it seems to be the best option for CFW, as there have been practically no reports of bricking. On the other end of the bricking spectrum, Waninkoko's CFW is currently not recommended, due to high reports of console bricking.

Current Custom Firmwares:
Kakaroto
Geohot
Wutangrza
Waninkoko
Kmeaw

(This CFW allows you to install PKG's from 3.41 and from 3.55 JB & supports the same functions like Waninko's CFW (Just without bricking... me 60GB worked Fine + It seems to me that everything works much faster now !! Backup time 15mins for MW2/with Geohot 25mins/ please agree if you feel the same )

This guide will teach you how to install kmeaw CFW, how to enable the use of backup managers and play backed up (legal) games/homebrew and connect to PSN. This guide works for almost every other current CFW (minus the files). This guide is for educational purposes only.
Lets get started….

Step 0

* Download the original PS3 firmware 3.55 here.

Update your PS3 to the original PS3 firmware 3.55 (regardless of what CFW your currently are).

Step 1

Actually I could have give you now a tutorial on how to create own patches and Updates but I think its much more easier when I give you them to download...

Originall FW
(ATTENTION !! First install OFW if you arent already on it)

Fixed Ready CFW !!
(ready to install CFW)
If this link doesnt work download use this one
Fixed Ready CFW !!!

LV2.pkg
(you will read about this later)

Rogero-Backup-Manager
(needed for Backuping games)

Step 2

Time to install the custom firmware. This step is pretty much standard for all/any patched CFW file you may be using. Copy the newly created and renamed

PS3UPDAT.PUP to your flash drive (/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP). And now update your PS3 firmware as normal via XMB.

Note: If you get a error saying that your already at the latest update and it kicks you out, then you need to update your PS3 CFW via RECOVERY mode. TO boot into recover mode read THIS.

If you see this on your XMB then the CFW installed properly:

25kr681.jpg

Step 3

Now that CFW is installed its time to get the backup managers to work.

Now to the PKG from the download link you need

This is a PKG which you install via PKG option in XMB. You have to run this whenever you want to run the backup manager. This PKG does certain things I will not go into that allows backup managers to run with this particular CFW. It is likely that backupmanagers in the future will build this feature in so do some research on this once this guide gets a bit dated.

Step 4

Install a backup manager (must be signed), I recommend and am using Rogero manager v7.8:
Download Link was in the beginning

Some notes on backup managers – you must have any original PS3 game inside and you must boot from XMB.
See more PS3 signed homebrew here: PSGroove.com - 3.55 Compatible Homebrew Downloads

And there you go, you should have backups + PSN now running on your PS3
Please reply back with any questions/helps and your results!

The Credits go to PSGroove...
Hope I could help some of you :smile:

JonnyLee1

TGZ x HOST v1

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tut but how to i backup games once this is all installed ??

N

n7e7b7

Reaction score
Sin$
I have a question. If I do this and then backup my friends cod blacks ops onto my ps3 will I be able to go online with it and still have him be able to use t he disk on his ps3 to go online?

I

IwearHelmet4Bed

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
You Sir are a ****ing Legend! Thanks a lot. Just used with this back-up manager

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/400876-gaia-back-up-manager-w-lv2-auto-patcher/

Works superb. Thanks again :biggrin:

C

cjenks11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi someone please help me

Right so i have updated my ps3 to 3.55 now shall i install both original FW and fixed ready FW im a little confussed?

Mizore

Mizore

The Snow Fairy
Stickied Bright Idea Chatty Kathy
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi someone please help me

Right so i have updated my ps3 to 3.55 now shall i install both original FW and fixed ready FW im a little confussed?

If you have regular firmware(Sony's 3.55 update) you can straight up upgrade to custom firmware (In this case Kmeaw). However if you already have custom firmware installed (Ie: geohot's) then you must first re-install Sony's 3.55 then
the custom firmware... hope this clears things up

M

Mitchellhacks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tut can you run backup games on this cfw or not????

M

munna

Reaction score
Sin$
all the CFW links are dead...

the CFW links which u have posted are Kakaroto CFW or have you patched Kakarot CFW to play pirated games ??

M

munna

Reaction score
Sin$
i have done everything and when i start "Rogero-Backup-Manager" i get black screen

XandalorZ

DJ XandalorZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have 3.56 and whenever I try to update to any OFW or CFW I get an error. The data is corrupt (8002F282). Help? I also get this one every once in awhile. (8002F2C5)

Top Bottom
Login
Register