TU3 all info so far

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Game Modding' started by aaron10101, Feb 14, 2009 with 10 replies and 800 views.

DO u like this update so far

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Seems okay idk yet

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. it was good till i red no more standbuy

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. aaron10101

aaron10101 Enthusiast

Ratings:

Please try to keep general discussion/questions about the TU in this thread.
    Last Update: 4:30pm EST [GMT-5]--02/27/2009

Quote:
    Current status:
    Unreleased (In Development)

Latest Server-Side Fixes

Two piecing has been tweaked on the server, to give the victim a good chance at dodging the attack after being stunned:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rod Fergusson [Click here to view the link]
    Hey all,

I wanted to let you know that we just made a tweak to help with two-piecing. We didn't want to nerf the attacker as that seems unfair so instead we reduced the melee stagger recovery time a tiny bit. This creates a small window in which the defender can now evade away from the attacker before being shotgunned. Obviously evading perpindicular is always the best choice.

Anyway, give it a try and let us know what you think!

Thanks,

Rod.

Fixes Coming to Title Update 3
    Chainsaw "Invincibility" to be fixed: Quote:
    We've found the issue and are fixing for TU3. Thanks everyone for their dedication in helping to track the problem down.

Thanks,

Rod.

You will get up 2 seconds after being stunned by a smoke, no matter what: Quote:
    We stopped it's duration being dependent on animation and so now everyone begins to get back up after 2 seconds regardless. This is likely to make getting up look less cool but it won't be as agonizing when you're caught sliding down stairs. We've also enabled ourselves greater control over balance issues with smoke grenades.

Thanks,

Rod.

250 points worth of new achievements coming: Quote:
    We're allowed to add up to 250 points, and we're taking full advantage [​IMG]

Thanks,

Rod.

Quote:
    You will see achievements tied to the new leveling system (5 in fact) and it would make a lot of sense to release some new content soon after the title update is released... [​IMG]

Thanks,

Rod.

Only host will lose experience if he quits: Quote:
    No, if the host quits, only the host will lose experience.

Thanks,

Rod.

Rank 100 will use the Rank 5 symbol: Quote:
    Actually, that's where we ended up. There are 100 levels and level 100 uses the "rank 5" icon instead of a number.

Thanks,

Rod.

New shotgun shield glitch has been fixed. Look at these quotes: Quote:
    Originally Posted by XCH3MiiCAL [Click here to view the link]
    Thanks rod

Please help me get epic to read this thanks.

[Click here to view the link]

Quote:
    Already taken care of in TU3.

Thanks,

Rod.

Info on how long it'll take TU3 to release.
    Quote:
    Soon! We're in final testing before submitting to certification.

Thanks,

Rod.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeGraf [Click here to view the link]
    We don't know yet. It's dependent upon when we can get a cert slot and how soon they can get it through cert. Cert is normally 2 weeks, but getting a cert slot can be weeks from when the code is ready.

Quote:
    Well we haven't submitted it to cert yet and that usually takes two weeks to complete. That's the best I can do for now, we're close though.

Thanks,

Rod.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turkishatt [Click here to view the link]
    The TU3 will be out sometime next week! official

Quote:
    Not next week, but very soon

A country preference system is being added:
    Quote:
    A country filtering option will be in TU3. It doesn't restrict you to your country because otherwise certain areas of the world would be unlikely to play a match. It will always prefer your country when there is a match/party available.

Quote:
    We aren't putting a filter in. We have a country preference, not filter[/COLOR]

Players who quit are going to be replaced by bots: Quote:
    No it still won't allow join in progress in Public matches but it would allow us to do something like replace the dropped player with a bot...

Rod.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeGraf
    Bots will replace dropped players. Being killed by a bot is still dead, so yes it affects your k/d ratio.

Bots will be using the insane mode difficulty, look at these private messages. Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vitalogy89
    Joe, what difficulty will be the bots that replace the players that quit? I'm assuming Insane right? Because those are the only bots that one could potentially play competitively. Thanks.

Quote:
    Insane

Rank is being looked at:
    Quote:
    It's a decent thought. We're definitely looking at rank right now and how it could be improved...

Thanks,

Rod.

Quote:
    Hey all,

So we've been looking at all the feedback on our skill ranking system and we completely understand why simply making your TrueSkill level visible can be frustrating. The algorithm is complex, so it's not always clear how your rank will be affected by a particular match and your rank is based on the team's outcome and not necessarily your individual performance.

So we're looking to make a change.

What if, instead of skill rank, we instead showed your experience level. You would gain experience through your individual performance in Public multiplayer matches - the higher your score at the end, the more experience you acquire. Of course the experience gained across the different match types would be balanced so you couldn't just grind on the respawning game types to try and level faster. The experience requirements for each level would grow with each level gained (like a typical RPG) and we'd have 99 levels of experience for you to show off your leetness.

Generally speaking your level will always go up since you're always acquiring more score, hence experience, with each completed match. The only exception to that would be people quitting. Players that quit would gain an experience penalty that could cause them to be demoted. At the end of every match you will be able to see how much experience you've gained and how much further you have to go till the next level.

Since I know what one of the first questions is going to be, initially we wouldn't have achievements for gaining experience levels because of Xbox LIVE rules that require all post release achievements to be tied to new DLC content. But when new DLC is released, it's a whole new ball game then. [​IMG]

So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Rod.

The Meatflag will no longer glitch out of the map: Quote:
    We do have a tweak for the flag running off for no reason so that should help somewhat.

The Sniper hit detection is being fixed:
    Quote:
    Sniper has been fixed in the next TU. It was driving me crazy too.

Quote:
    It's not a hit box problem, but it was due to incorrect rays being used. That caused elevation related issues, which is why it's inconsistent and not out right unpossible.

Host Migration is being "experimented" with, but the chances of it coming in TU3 are slim. I thought it'd be nice add these quotes anyway: Quote:
    I assumed that you'd search for Gears1 posts on the subject and see that I said that our architecture makes host migration hard if not impossible. I have come up with a way to do that, but it won't come in a time frame that you'll find acceptable. It's easy to say "I want host migration" just like it's easy to say "I want you to build me a house". Both take time and Internet forums generally aren't what people would call patient

Quote:
    Keep in mind, that I wrote 100% of the Live code for all Epic's games, so I am familiar with how they work.

I meant network architecture. Halo is similar but differs in some key ways that aren't trivial for us to change. They are different because they were meant to deal with different design goals.

Quote:
    We're definitely looking at better solutions for the hosting issues but nothing to announce immediately. As for host migration, that is extremely difficult. Not impossible, so it's not off the table but it would take a considerable amount of work so it's not something that would happen in the short term.

Thanks,

Rod.

Miscellaneous info from Rod:
    Quote:
    I'm sorry. It wasn't addressed in this TU because it's not actually an easy problem to solve and will require time to come up with the right solution for everyone. In the mean time we wanted to get all the exploit fixes released as soon as we could.

We know it's an issue and we're continuing to look at it and work on it.

Thanks for your patience.

Rod.

Quote:
    Yes, if we were to tweak something in a permanent way then we would let you know. We usually try to have any big weapon tweaks coincide with title update releases so that they're part of the release notes for easy reading.

We're actually continuing to work on the quitting penalty stuff so please stay tuned as it may soon change.

Thanks,

Rod.

Quote:
    Not at this moment. We were not happy that Gears 1 devolved into a hardcore game of people rolling and roadie running at each other all the time with shotguns. The game is meant to be somewhat tatical and that's not how it ended up. BTW to be clear, you can fire after roadie running, just not instantly, which was a cheap tactic.

Thanks,

Rod.

Lag is set to be "prevented" in this Title Update:
    Quote:
    We have some bandwidth tweaks but there's no silver bullet there. The biggest factor in lag honestly is the host's upstream bandwidth. We're optimistic that with the tweaks we've made and Joe's changes to the backend matchmaking that it should reduce the issue.

Thanks,

Rod.

Two Piecing is adressed:
    Quote:
    The 2-piece is on our list to fix in the next TU. A partial fix was placed on our servers this afternoon and limits the usefulness of the technique.

More weapon balance will be coming: Quote:
    We will continue to adjust balance of the weapons over time. TU2 allowed us more finely grained control of updating our weapons via our servers. We'll use this to tweak balance in an ongoing basis. For instance, a change went in today to reduce the effectiveness of the "2-piece"

On the subject of unranked playlists/player matches: Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Rein [Click here to view the link]
    We're exploring lots of options but I can't say for certain what we will or won't do.

The Epic Crew plans on doing some "experimenting" with playlists: Quote:
    We really do not know. But the good news is that as of TU2 we can tweak a lot more parameters within the game without a new title update (more of that coming in TU3). In addition it is time for us to start trying a few things with the playlists.

Quote:
    I've said this in a bunch of different threads and maybe haven't said it here. As part of TU3 we will be optimizing the playlists so stay tuned. I think you'll be pleased.

Thanks,

Rod.

Epic plans on addressing standbyers to some extent. Quote:
    We're working on ideas to put folks who standby in their proper place. But we can't elaborate on them at this point in time.

Cliffy B posted! [​IMG] He mentioned a possible fix on Smoke Grenades. Quote:
    Originally Posted by CliffyB [Click here to view the link]
    ::wipes sleep from eyes::

Wha? I'm here! What's up?

Smoke grenades can be a bit annoying. We're looking into it.

Some more miscellaneous info.
    Quote:
    Yes I believe there are more things we can tweak without an update and even more cool things planned for TU3. At lunch the other day Cliff said he'd love to try something like "Smoke Free Fridays". We're also discussing mixing up the playlists. Believe it or not, a lot of the conversations we have about the online gameplay mirror, and are very influenced, by the (more civil) conversations in this forum. So keep it civil, think about the implications of your requests and listen to people who (nicely) disagree with you. Even in times when you think we're not listening the good debates absolutely filter through to us.

After being convinced that people should be allowed to talk freely to their opponents between rounds, Mark Rein says: Quote:
    Another good point. I'll pass these along.

To counter the inability to shoot directly after roadie running, the ability to melee/chainsaw after roadie running is being addressed as well. Check out JoeGraf's response to someone else's post as well as this quote from Rod: Quote:
    After the TU2 you can't shotgun straight after roadie run yet you can still 2 piece/chainsaw. Was there really a point of that? I say fix melee/chainsaw straight after roadie run too.
    Quote:
    Yes. It's on the list.

Quote:
    We're responding by adding the same delay to melee so that it's fair.

Thanks,

Rod.

Weapon balancing on certain maps is being addressed: Quote:
    We are working on fixing Subway's balance issues.

Quote:
    BTW, we do make decisions based off of the data. For instance, Hail and Subway are undergoing balancing due to the numbers showing a decided advantage. Hail already was adjusted and Subway will be in the next TU

JoeGraf has hinted MORE EFFECTIVE solutions to fix standbying and cheating. Look at these quotes:
    Quote:
    Didn't they do that in Gow 1 with the message saying "The connection has dropped or something" press B to leave or wait?
    Quote:
    And it had too many false positives. I am looking into a better solution than the code I did for Gears1.

Quote:
    Don't worry. I am actively looking into ways to combat the cheating. It's not a trivial problem, but we are working on solutions. They make me just as mad as they make you.

Quote:
    Be patient. TU3 will have a present from me to the standby-er and by extension a gift from me to all the players.

Quote:
    I did mean that person won't get to play. However, I did write some special standby punishment code for the people that do it post TU3. They will be sad.

Graf was asked if he's ever been standbyed, this was his response: Quote:
    Only once out of all the matches I've played. Yes, I intend to add special code so they no longer play MP

[/COLOR]

• Like Like x 4
  2. WishMaster

WishMaster Member

Ratings:
    We know about it already, there are many countless posts about this here in forums, its more than enough already.:mellow:

3. Twis7eD

Twis7eD Banned

Ratings:
    No, this is a good thread because it is organized so that people don't have to go from one thread reading to another. As long as he keeps updating it, it will be a very good thread. I read almost all of it, and I didn't know pretty much any of that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheIncredibleZ

TheIncredibleZ Getting There

Ratings:
  5. OP
    aaron10101

aaron10101 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    ill update this tread everytime a update is made

6. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Hey, I think you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work, and hopefully you will see some of your threads Stickied!

I approve this message.

7. GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3 Retired Retired

Ratings:
    give credit to the real creator.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    aaron10101

aaron10101 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Updated

New update today and notice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turkishatt [​IMG]
    The TU3 will be out sometime next week! official

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeGraf [​IMG]
    Not next week, but very soon

20/09 update

9. SHoTS

SHoTS Newbie

Ratings:
    I agree with the update, becuase even though I like bridging and standbying I think GOW2 will be much a better game after this update,hopefully.

10. sky killer 100

sky killer 100 Newbie

Ratings:
    after this update gears of war 2 will be amazing

11. OP
    aaron10101

aaron10101 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    gears of war 2 forums updated again and again another amazing news