What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Solved Trying to Repair some 360's. Looking for methods of Reflowing the Solder on chips.

J

jasonmbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have 3 360's that are all rrod, (and 1 I shorted the DVD drive to back when I was a kid). 2 Of them have error 0102, the other one Had 0110 but has 0022 now (After I opened it attempted to find the problem, found nothing but used compressed air to clean out the massive amount of dust. Put it back together and had 0022).

Anyway I'm looking for Methods to reflow the chips (I don't have money to have it professionally Redone (even if I did there isn't anywhere local that actually can do it))

Ive heard about doing it In an oven, and was wondering how Viable this is. Also if Im doing Reflowing Like this, Would it be smart to do:

X-clamp Repair Mod
Bake
Remove X Clamp
----------------
12V Fan Mod
Add Extra Case Fan (To Top of Heatsyncs)

Or would adding the Extra Pressure, before attempting to Bake, Cause The solder to have to much strain after removing The Extra Pressure.

PS: The Reason I haven't done The X-clamp Mod yet, Is that i've been reading The Extra Pressure can break the board in other places over time.

If the main issue is that The solder isnt Connected, Then Id rather Melt it Just enough, However The only tools I have at my Disposal are a Cheap 200-450c Soldering Iron (and the stuff that goes with soldering, Liquid Flux, 2 sizes of Solder, Desoldering Wick and Pen/Sucker, bunch of different sizes of copper wire and a tiny bit of silver wire)), and A crappy Oven from the 1960's,

Im also Looking for Any advice on Good methods to Insulate the Motherboards parts that don't need reflowing.

Lastly Would it Be possible to Do a reball of the GPU With makeshift Parts (eg:
Clean Gpu of Solder
Silicon mat with holes Poked Where solder needs to go
Put same amount of solder into each hole
Melt solder So it attaches to the gpu
Confirm That all the solder is same height
Put GPU back onto Motherboard
Bake In oven to attach the Gpu chip to the Board)

Although at that Point, I might as well Just Physically Wire the Chip to the Board lol.

Please leave any thoughts/Tips/Suggestions (I don't care Much about these Xbox's, its simply a good learning experience for me).
I'm going to hold Off on doing anything with them for a day or 2.

Update: I reopened The 0022 Error Xbox, and wiggled the CPU via the heatsync back into place (it was off by about 2mm), Probably not the smartest idea however. This fixed the 0022 Error and the 0110 Error. Now I have 1 Red Light, And Output to the tv. The Error is E79 So, Im assuming Something else Is going on, and Will procceed back to wiggling the devices until it works =p

Update 2: The Errors on my 0022 Xbox, are settling down, after Properly cleaning out the thing, and loosening the screws on the mobo. Seems to take a couple boots before its fine however (usually 2-5 Boots to dashboard). No longer have the GPU/CPU RROD. Now at its worst I get E79 E71 and E67 (on boot). Im assuming that it's got a bad connection on the Southbridge, Im also Going to Attempt to Install Some better Cooling into it.

Currently Running it in different Positions To get it to settle down, But it will take a while, since Im planning to essentially heat it up, then rotate it 90 Degrees and repeat. Sadly its dashboard is too new to jtag it. However I plan to RGH it when I get my Matrix Nand Programmer Is there anything I should be careful about given the southbridge might derp a bit?

Update 3: So far ive more or less been able to play halo 4 on my 0022'd xbox, the dvd drive seems to fail every so often but i think thats from when i disconnected it (the sata cable felt like it was melted into place (wasn't actually) given how hard it was to pull out) Might have broken the cable, il be testing with a different cable. Feeling pretty proud of myself given that it seemed totally dead a few days ago. Although I expect It will need reballing in the near future

Last edited:
J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
X-clamp Repair Mod
Bake
Remove X Clamp
----------------
12V Fan Mod
Add Extra Case Fan (To Top of Heatsyncs)
All of these are either useless or bad.
If the main issue is that The solder isnt Connected, Then Id rather Melt it Just enough
That's rarely the issue, you usually it's the solder bumps between the die and the base of the chip or the die itself.

Before you do anything, please understand this! There is a 95% chance that whatever DIY fix you do on it won't last more than a few months at best! The only permanent repair would be to replace the faulty chip. A reball may get it going for maybe a year or so, though it could be just as bad as a regular reflow.
My advice is get a working console! If you want to get it fixed though, I recommend using a heat gun to do the reflow.
Firstly, isolate all capacitors with tin foil and kapton tape, then find a way to mount the motherboard above a stove, without it actually touching it. Turn the stove on and heat the board until the GPU is at 155-160C. After it's there, start the heat gun up and heat the chip to 220C over a period of 10-20 seconds and keep it there for 30 seconds. Then, get it to 230C for another 30 seconds, drop it down to 200 for 10. When this is done, shut everything off and let the board cool down to 50C before touching it.
P.S. You will need some form of temperature monitoring.

J

jasonmbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the info, a lot of whats out there seems outdated/Incorrect. When you say replace the faulty chip, are you saying the chip is most likely dead/defective?

Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the info, a lot of whats out there seems outdated/Incorrect. When you say replace the faulty chip, are you saying the chip is most likely dead/defective?
you can fix these by doing a reflow on the GPU, I am working on a tut for reflows

Top Bottom
Login
Register